BX Tweaking

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ohms69

BX Tweaking

Post by ohms69 »

I finally got the TZd through it's MOT...New struts, new calipers discs pads and new spheres later, it feels like a new car!
Anyway, what was once a quick BX has quickly become an underpowered slug of a car(nothings changed, I've just become accustomed to the tweaked Red bx), so I've decided to tweak it.
I set about the task this afternoon(No, the speedo cable still hasn't been done, it's a question of priorities!![;)]), I turned the max fuel screw 100 degrees clockwise and turned the boost compensator screw 180 degrees anti-clockwise.
I took the car out for a blast, and it's much quicker, although it does smoke a fair bit! I haven't adjusted the boost yet(ran out of light) and will sort this in the morning.
I know that I've given the car more fuel than the derv doctor did on the red one(made mental notes whilst he carried out the work), but should I give it more boost?
Who has played about with tweaking and can offer good advice on what's safe? Does 22PSi sound rediculous? I just know it's going to go like the clappers once the boost has been wound up![}:)][:p][:)][:D][8D]
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Snap! mine went through today as well. 22PSi sounds like making very short work of the cylinder head. It is always a bit of a dilemma. Tuning the Diesel robs it of its two greatest assets, longevity and economy.
The petrol engines have more power but lack midrange torque.
The HDI sounds remarkable but I have heard dark mutterings that they go wrong in expensive ways (lift pumps, I heard).
Maybe Vanny has it right with his 1900 turbodiesel conversion.
Being as there ain't no substitute for cubes, What would the likelihood be of fitting the big motor from the XM?
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

I have a 1.9 BX TD and have fitted a boost gauge as a prelim to boosting it but honestly it bloody flies anyway, with cameras eveywhere.......but then again, re the 2.1 motor it looks feasible if you can arrange the eletrickery.
Stewart
ohms69

Post by ohms69 »

Wound the boost up this morning. God, how difficult is that actuator arm to put back on the wastegate once shortened.[xx(]
Anyway, I did it and the car goes like the proverbial clappers, and only smokes now when off boost under full load.
Having carried out the tweak I am a little concerned about the effect this will have on the cars MPG... A little late now, I know.
But in theory If I don't cane it every where and drive at a sedate pace it should be as good as it was before... What do you think?
Or is the car now constantly using loads more fuel regardless how I drive?[:)]
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

I'm trying to do the same to my TZD Turbo.
Mines got the KKK turbo and a bit of a bugger to adjust[:(!].
What sort of pressure are you running ohm69?
ohms69

Post by ohms69 »

Approximately 20psi...I say approximately because I know the red BX was set to 18psi and I shortened the actuator arm to the same lenght, plus 2 extra turns in.
1psi equates to one full turn of the rod.[;)]
It goes like thunder now!!
A 2.2 brand new astra SRI got well and truly BX'd on the motorway!!![}:)][:p]