How do I remove the center spheres???

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

DoubleChevron
My Cars:

How do I remove the center spheres???

Post by DoubleChevron »

Hi Guys,
I've just loosened all the spheres on the Xantia to get them regassed, however the center sphere's appear to be extremely tight (ie: most likely still under pressure).
What's the trick to release there pressure ??
There is actually 4 spheres under the back of this car. That's the center sphere, 2 rear arms, what's the other one ??
On the front there is 2 suspension spheres, 1 accumulator, and what is tight is what I thought was the brake accumulator (it's in the same position as the brake acc on the CX), however it appears to be the anti-sink sphere and is very tight.
So that makes 8spheres. 4 up front, and 4 at the back. Does that sound right ??
thanks
Shane L.
Jon

Post by Jon »

Hiya
Your Xantia being a VSX is Hydractive, so what you have at the front there is the Centre Front (70 bar) spehere, plus a normal accumulator. At the back you have a Centre rear sphere (50 bar) and you'll see another sphere near the middle at the back with a pipe going into the bottom of it, with a 9mm headed nut on the pipe. This is your anti-sink sphere.
So, by reckoning you should indeed have 8 spheres in total including the ones at each corner and the accumulator!
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Shane,
Yep, 8 spheres sounds right. The one in the 'centre' at the front is the hydractive sphere (no brake accumulator on the Xantia) - it is this that is isolated to switch the suspension in and out of hard mode. One of the ones at the back is the rear hydractive sphere, the other is the anti sink sphere (which is, confusingly, a brake accumulator[}:)], and has nothing to do with stopping the car sinking!).
Now, there is a special procedure for depressuring hydractive cars with anti sink - but I can't remember exactly what it is (but I do remember that some folk with XM's who have not done it right have finished up with the car permanently in 'hard mode'....[:(]) Oh and watch out for the rear anti-sink sphere, as if you don't take the pipe off first, it gets wrecked when you unscrew the sphere.....
It's along the lines of: engine running select low, wait about 30 seconds, open the bleed screw (engine still running!), wait another minute or two, then switch off. Jump on the xantia-L or XM-L lists on yahoo - they're well versed in this (XM probably better!).
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

No need jumping off to other sites - you're right in the depressure procedure Richard [:)]
All you need is to have system pressure present (engine running) to keep all hydraulic valves open - then suspension pressure is discharged normally by lowering the height on the suspension height controller.
By having engine running - and car parked - the soft mode is automatically selected - then energising the HA electrovalve on the center sphere mounts - in turn connecting both axles center spheres.
If the manual control switch is deliberately set to hard/sport - then the center spheres will not be discharged though !
Once the suspension has settled completely on low - all 6 suspension system spheres further discharges completely within few seconds - taking the 30 seconds value as a safety precaution.
This also includes the rear antisink sphere - as this is directly connected to the rear HC output side (i.e. the suspension cylinders feed)
Then the main accumulator sphere (on front of engine) is discharged as usual.
If one of the spheres then still acts as a furious Tomcat on removal (like the brake acc left corner in the CX if you forget the brake pedal motion) - then it's purely caused by the sphere being duff (i.e. remaining pressure too low to completely empty the LHM against any residual resistance in hyd lines - but still enough pressure to spit out once the sphere is connected to free air).
ZEGA
My Cars:

Post by ZEGA »

What do you think about one advice i heard somewhere on this (or other) forum, to slack sphere while car is up and runnig under pressure, and then do procedure of releasing pressure and unscrew the spere off...
It should be easier to take of spheres that way because they was under hyd. pressure...
ZEGA
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

You're right ZEGA - it does help loosening off the sphere. Just make sure it's just barely "cracked" in the threads - as turning an ant's hair too much makes it spray time [8D]
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

Thanks Guys,
gees things are simple when you know what to do... The hydractive sphere's unscrewed very easily once I released there pressure [:)]
The rear hydractive sphere is dead though [B)] Strange one that is. It's still squirting fluid out 20minutes after I removed it (as I was leaving to come inside). It looks like the hydractive spheres are accumulator spheres(as they have no valve), so I'll just replace it with a spare accumulator sphere if possible.
thanks guys!
Shane L.
PS: I'd already discovered the anti-sink sphere line bit. I gave it a bit of a twist and it felt strange, so I grabbed the 500watt spot light and shined up there. PHEW !!! Bloody glad I did that otherwise I would have torn that hydraulic line clean off[:0]
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Yes Shane - the HA spheres are similar to the main accumulator.
BUT !!!!
If you take a closer look - then the orifice is smaller in dia - as the main acc. Also the sphere size & precharge is different front/rear - to match the different axle loads.
This is because the HA is STILL part of the suspension - and must then provide part of the damping too - when connected in soft mode.
I can't see why NOT using a standard main accumulator - at least for finally having a setup with all bits working for testing the system.
Also the effect would be slightly softer suspension in soft mode - to no consequence - as the HA ECU switch to hard mode anyway at speeds beyond some 35kmh - disconnecting the HA sphere.
The only noticeable effect may then be a smallish abrupt feeling of change in suspension softness when switching occurs.
That sphere continously slowly gushing out LHM - would be totally flat - i.e. no pressure left at all on the gas side - hence the LHM side is filled up with LHM - under no pressure. This means some 0.4L of LHM must slowly try find its way out the orifice - by gravity.