Xantia brakes question

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

VisaGTi16v

Xantia brakes question

Post by VisaGTi16v »

Hi,
couple of questions.
Does the handbrake work on the front or rear calipers on a xantia?
Secondly I would be most grateful if someone with a (whisper) haynes manual could tell me the master cylinder bores for 1.6 and 2 litre 16v xantias in mm
cheers
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

Not sure about the cylinder bores but the hand brake works on the front brakes.
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

thanks. is it cable operated or hydraulic and if so is it seperate to the main brake line or splits off it?
cheer
Jon

Post by Jon »

Its cable operated on the front calipers.
Xantia's don't have a master cylinder, they have a "doseur valve" which looks like a small master cylinder, and sits on the bulkhead behinfd the brake pedal. Its much less progressive than a master cylider, and indeed is a valve that opens and closes fluid flow upon application of the pedal to provide the braking. It goes without saying that the seals are only suitable for LHM fluid.
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

It is cable operated to levers on the top of each caliper.
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

And the cables are a b***h to fit
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

ok thanks everyone
Ira1
My Cars:

Post by Ira1 »

While we're discussing brakes, I found out the rear brake calipers both sides on my Xantia do not have pistons. What I saw was just hollow tube and I guess the tube circumference is what pushes the pad when I press the brake pedal. Is it dangerous ? Should I get new piston and shove it there ? I don't have problem stopping even doing emergency ones, break feels good, but there're break squeals every now and then.[?]
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Ira1</i>

While we're discussing brakes, I found out the rear brake calipers both sides on my Xantia do not have pistons. What I saw was just hollow tube and I guess the tube circumference is what pushes the pad when I press the brake pedal ....
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Ira -
Take a deep breath [:)]
This is how the rear caliper pistons looks like - they ARE in fact hollow - like a cup - with the bottom inside the cylinder and the open cup against the pads.
It has NOTHING to do with any brake sqeals.
Sqealing brakes now & then is more the rule than an exception.
Heavy constant squealing - on the other hand - is a sure indication of the brakes in need of service.