Electric window problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

conbhaill
My Cars:

Electric window problem

Post by conbhaill »

The drivers side electric window on my 1994 Xantia jams one third down. It makes a grating/ratchety sound until the switch is pressed again, it does not return true unless I hold and guide the window taking care not to trap my fingers. There is a small hole in the glass which I suspect is supposed to have a pin to guide the window. Does anyone know how to replace the missing pin?
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

I'm not 100% sure but I do believe that the bottom of the glass does have a hole in it where a plastic clip goes through and twists to lock it to the window regulator.
Something to maybe help you is that on 1994 Xantia I previously owned, the n/s/f window would make a similar noise to yours at the same point.
Upon investigation I discovered that the door lock mechanism was obstructing the window as it passed. I could not work out why exactly this occurred as everthing, runners etc ran true, so I just filed a small amount of plastic away from the lock and the problem was sorted.
It may be as simple as that for yourself, maybe to the point that it is dislodging the glass from the runners.
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

Will,
There is a plastic "peg" on the window lift assembly that should be through the hole on the glass. There are two securing methods, a twist-on locking plastic bit or a spring clip.
If you can see the hole then I assume the peg has pulled out. Your cure may simply be to push the peg back through the glass and secure it by whatever method yours had.
Any bit that's fallen off should be in the bottom of the door.
Whicever type you have you'll need three hands with long and strong fingers....plus puncture-proof skin. It's a bit tight in there!
Good luck.
David
conbhaill
My Cars:

Post by conbhaill »

Many thanks, (I like to drive with the window down or at least a bit open summer and winter) so this was exellent advice, managed a cure with minimal blood loss.