Xantia Drivers Door Window

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wrinklet1
My Cars:

Xantia Drivers Door Window

Post by wrinklet1 »

Hi all,
Now the problem my car is having is that when I lower the drivers door window it seems okay, BUT, when I raise it, it goes about half way then starts to make a screeching sound similar to a grit rubbing against the glass. It doesn't close fully either, but stops about 6mm from the top, which is rather frustrating. I have squirted silicone lubricant into/onto the rubber channels that the glass geos up/down in and it didn't make a difference.
Any ideas?
Paul
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

Paul,
Quite common and usually failure of the cable lift system. Your noises are likely the thing on its last legs before it sticks down and becomes an emergency.
What happens is that the cable strands start to split away due to age or rust, and then jam in the winder spool.
I'd take the door panel off sooner rather than later to see what is going on. You might just be lucky that it's something else that's easier to sort.
The repair is a bit of a dilemma. Ideally a new lift/motor assy complete. About £130 from Citroen, £80(?) from Andyspares and £10-£30 from the breakers.
Problem is many from the breakers will be almost as bad as yours and it is a bit of a pain to do.
Good luck,
David