MPG challenge...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

philhoward

MPG challenge...

Post by philhoward »

There's been a thread running for a while on TD economy, but what about the petrol heads amongst us? On my 48 mile run to work (mad or what???), the Xantia TD has been returning a rush-hour induced 47mpg; that's through 3 towns, but half of it motorway (the M42 rush hour roadworks).
Curious to see what the BX GTi can do...A quick net search seems to give 30mpg as about right...Trying to figure out if converting the BX to LPG will actaully make it a cheaper runner to work or not than the Xantia!
Jon

Post by Jon »

If you read into that thread more, it was more like whats the worse MPG you can get out of your TD i.e. over 4000 RPM in 5th.
I ran a BX GTi (1991) in 1997 for the Swindon to Reading run I was doing at the time, and if treated with respect it was a good motorway cruiser averaging from 28 to 34 MPG depending on speed and use.Use of the loud pedal and high speed meant it would dip into the low 20's I'm afraid. Thats when I got the first TD as I have to pay my own fuel. Liked the old BX GTi's though.
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

I had a BX19TZI, basically the GTI witha cat and that would return around 30mpg in normal mixed driving with over 35 on a good run.
From my experience with LPG I wouldn't have a car running on it. I'm pretty sure the untimely demise of our works Astra was partly brought on by the fact that it is mainly run on LPG and needs an extra 1000rpm to move it off the line compared to running it on petrol.
Paulxmski
My Cars:

Post by Paulxmski »

XMV6 32.* on the motorway, 28.6 mainroads, 14 down to the shops
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

Don't supose the low-geared diff and box helps in the economy stakes on my GTi; is the TZi higher geared (more than 20mph/1000rpm)?
crooser

Post by crooser »

xm 2.5 48mpg motorway,36-38 running around.