2.1 TD fuel problems

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Russell

2.1 TD fuel problems

Post by Russell »

Hi folks,
The XM (which starts and dies) continues to run like a dog, but I've just done a compression test and that seemed healthy enough, 400psi on each cylinder, 425psi on one. So I'm back to chasing fuel, pump, or pump timing problems. Injectors (off the car) have checked out healthy. White smoke in abundance. [:(!]
I want to try running the car with the pump fuel inlet in a can of diesel, and the return hose also fed back to the can, to rule out fuel delivery problems once and for all. Is this really as simple as this, or are there more traps for the unwary. [?]
Lastly, whats the easiest cover to remove to look at the timing belt? I had a go at the top cover, but my hands just don't fit in the gap. Is the bottom one any easier..?
cheers
Russell [:)]
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

The roto pump fuel intake is dead simple -
You have the fuel filter - and possible fuel heater block rear of engine - in the fuel line - but not needed for such a can test.
I suggest you try both before and after filter canister - to rule out a problem in the filter canister itself.
When testing without filter canister - you have no priming bulb (?) to help the fuel intake start. Then you fill up the test fuel feed hose - and place the fuel can higher level than the pump.
Despite the diesel fuel is less flammable than petrol - please still obey common sense when messing around with the fuel [8)]
Sorry - no idea on the belt covers.
Doc
My Cars:

Post by Doc »

It may be worth fitting a good quality fuel filter housing and primer unit as 18 months ago when my 2.1 XM was giving the same symptoms as yours, the problem was traced to a cheap pattern part filter and housing that had gone porous. Worn out glow plugs didn't help either. Lots of white smoke! The plugs were changed first (original spec) and the car would start and then would run, albeit very roughly before stopping. When I fitted a Bosch filter housing unit and bled through, the car ran (and continues to do so) smoothly.
If you live anywhere near Cambridge I would help you as I know how frustrating this problem can be.
Doc
Russell

Post by Russell »

Well, I've got the top cover off the cambelt, which doesn't count as one blooming spanner job in my book, even if it was only one bolt holding it on. It's gone dark, so I'll rotate the engine tommorrow and look hard for bit's of timing belt missing.
There was a 30 second pause with excruciating pain during which I thought I wasn't going to get my hand back. I've lost one 10mm socket and a 1/4 inch drive ratchet down the timing belt cover gap, I can't see the dropped tools from the top, and until I start the car, I can't even get it up high enough to get my jack under, axle stands out, and my head, arms and fingers anywhere near.
Just for good measure, LHM is starting to leak under the car.
Thanks, Doc for the offer of help, I do live in Cambridge as it happens.. I might be in touch if I don't get somewhere sensible with it very soon: I've got it booked in for a timing belt change on Friday anyway, so may know a bit more later this week.
Lucas want £120 to test and rebuild/recalibrate the fuel pump (Bosch VE 532 or 531) if I can prove this is the problem: is this reasonable, or should I find something secondhand? I thought these pumps are supposed to be bullet proof. [:(]
Ciao for neow.
Russell