missing fault

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

goose
My Cars:

missing fault

Post by goose »

i did post up on this fault before but cant find the old link
it has started again the same way as it did before
when under heat from a long journey or around town, the car starts to missfire then followed by a constant running of 3 cylinders.
last time i changed all spark plugs and a suspect ht coil. but now what could it be??
is it internal or electrical
its really begining to get to me now as its intermittent and when i take it any where to be looked at they say they canmt find a fault!!
any ideas people??
tonyb1
My Cars:

Post by tonyb1 »

I think this is the link you need:
http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... IC_ID=6093
Cheers
goose
My Cars:

Post by goose »

cheers for that mate
and if anyone has any more ideas then please let me know
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Sorry - but I have to say it can still be one of your single coils.
It's no guarantee you found a suspect coil and replaced it [:I]
- next coil may have come up now [B)]
As I posted in your first thread - these coils are reputed to fail.
You <font color="red"><i>have</i></font id="red"> to let the engine run untill the symptom is present - otherwise it's blind man's buff trying to trace the fault [8)]
goose
My Cars:

Post by goose »

but once the engine is up to the temp where the fault is at how do you determine which one is faulty???
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

Remove HT connection to each spark plug in turn. When one is removed and no difference is detected then you have found the faulty one, good luck.
goose
My Cars:

Post by goose »

cheers mate will endeavor onto it!!
goose
My Cars:

Post by goose »

just took the car out for another drive after a 3a and a hlf hour cool off its still missing
it feels and sounds like ive left a ht lead off now and the smell of petrol is everywhere!!
do u think a piston could have seized under heat and hasnt released itself? or do u still recon a ht coil?? a mate sed possibly a rotor arm??
wat does the zx 2.0l 16v have distributor or amplifier or is it something else??
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Goose -
Did you test exactly like Richard explains ?
This is a very sure test in fact !
goose
My Cars:

Post by goose »

if the problem is still there then i will do itr today if not then i will have to wait til next time!!
but i sure will look into this if its the same
goose
My Cars:

Post by goose »

well progres report!!!
took off the ht coil to find out if any of them had a fault!! i found one but when i swaped it around i then found it wasnt actually a ht coil after all. in then took the spark plug out of the cylinder which doesnt work and found wahat can be described as a rusty mud substance like a dried mud!!!
but it was on the spark plug inside the block and on the part which the coil goes over!!
so i cleaned off the plug and put it back in... it now works fine agen no missing!!!
but how did this happen what would cause this!!!
headgasket??
piston seizure??
and a local mechanic said possibly wetlining
?? (whatever that is ) but he said if it is wetlining then expect to pay for a new engine!!!
major help needed here!!
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

Hi Goose
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">took off the ht coil to find out if any of them had a fault!! i found one but when i swaped it around i then found it wasnt actually a ht coil after all. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
So what was the part that you 'swaped' ?
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">but it was on the spark plug inside the block and on the part which the coil goes over!!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Don't understand that sentence - was the deposit on the actual plug electrodes that go inside the cylinder or on the ceramic insulator, or both?
Did you fit a new plug? If so, take it out after a few hundred miles and have a look at it - if normal, problem solved.
I assume that your mechanic meant 'wet liners' by 'wetlining'
LEaking liner seals would result in water in the oil - suggest you replace him! [;)]
goose
My Cars:

Post by goose »

i un-plugged the coil at the coil itself!!
the spark plug had the deposit on both but more on the ceramic insulator
no i cleaned up the old plug. the plugs have been renewed though in the past month!!!
and the mechanic said that if the wet liners go its a new engine!!!
is that true?
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

The fact that this problem has recurred suggests a head gasket problem. Are you losing water?
goose
My Cars:

Post by goose »

no im not loosing water. just got back from a mates garage and he preasure tested the car and its all ok the headgasket is fine!!
he said that the rocker cover gasket has gone and that it is letting oil into the spark plugs. hence the dried mud like substance seen,
it was probably dry oil.
he then said that it probably would miss under heat due to the expansion of the gasket and open the split or whatever it might be. then pouring oil in!!
im gonna get the rocker cover gasket done and hopr for the best. problem now is ive ordered one from gsf but its gonna be thursday and i got a day off today!! buger!