Sump gasket?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

batwad
My Cars:

Sump gasket?

Post by batwad »

Not wanting to hijack d4mop's thread on oil leaks, what's the life of the sump gasket like on the 1.9TD lump? I ask because there was a light coating around the gasket when I changed the oil this weekend and there have been a few spots appearing on the driveway over the last few months, but I'd put that down to my crappy old sump plug.
Is it possible it's leaking from the gasket? Thinking about it, my engine looked like it had some rubbery sealant rather than a gasket. Is this normal?
Are there any weak points in the XUD that are known to be the source of oil leaks?
Brian Oblivion
My Cars:

Post by Brian Oblivion »

My old 306 leaked like a sieve; drips from sump gasket, various joints, oil ilter, sump plug. Didn't do anything about it as they were slow drips. Turned the idea on its head and saw it as a way of renewing the oil slowly. Made a mess of where I parked it though.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

It's common that sump gaskets needs replacement after some 5-8 years.
In DK it's an MOT (environment) issue.
A dead simple job - once the oil has been drained.
It's highly recommanded to clean (engine cleaner) the lower engine & sump beforehand.
edd001
My Cars:

Post by edd001 »

you said about it possibly being sealant, well my xantia is sealant and i had a leak so had to take sump off clean it up and reseal it. if it is a rubber gasket have you tried tightning the bolts as you may find one or two are a bit loose.
goose
My Cars:

Post by goose »

mines the same on my 2.0l 16v
leaky, but the gasket looks like some sort of sealer
im gonna have a look when the weathers a bit nicer i think and give it a good clean too. let me know how u get on!!!
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Had mine changed when serviced. It too was a kind of sealant, black in colour. All dripps now stopped.
batwad
My Cars:

Post by batwad »

Just been out and had a poke around under the bonnet, and now I'm questionning my own diagnosis. True, the oil is collecting around the sump gasket, but there's oil further up the engine. The front of the block between the head and sump are pretty filthy, a combination of oil and road dirt, and there's small pools of oil on the head, around the injectors.
It's quite baffling. I don't think the head gasket can be leaking as I'm having no other HG-related problems such as mucky coolant or air bubbles, though that does seem to be the point at which the oily block starts. Mind you, how would oil get up to the injectors from there?
If it were the rocker cover gasket, surely there'd be more oil around the injectors?
It's definitely coming from the front though, as the sides and rear of the sump are (comparatively) clean, though the gearbox side is a bit grubbier. I think this leak is slowly getting worse, haylp!
Simon Canfer
My Cars:

Post by Simon Canfer »

Both my ZX TDs have leaked from around the engine/gearbox joint. I assume it's the crank seal.
Simon Canfer
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Why not change the rocker cover gasket anyway? its a cheap easy job and one less item to worry about. :-)
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by batwad</i>
what's the life of the sump gasket like on the 1.9TD lump?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I'm surprised by this. Having had five XUDs over the past thirteen years, I've never, ever needed to change a sump gasket. Good luck, or what?
gardenpeas
My Cars:

Post by gardenpeas »

mud seemed to stop my sump leaking
oil further up might just be the turbulance moving it up
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Most likeley rocker gasket or a dribble from the rear of the head, sump gasket is under a fiver if worried
Stewart
batwad
My Cars:

Post by batwad »

Right, with the bank holiday weekend approaching I think I'll prepare to find this bloody leak and (hopefully) stop it :-) I'm just wondering that if I've got sealant stuff instead of a gasket at the moment, is it alright to scrape off the old sealant and replace it with a gasket or do I have to use sealant? What sort of sealant should be used?
rg
My Cars:

Post by rg »

What appeared to be a sump gasket failure on mine was actually a rocker cover gasket. The oil was running down the back (and front) of the block to the crankshaft oil seal area.
When my head gasket failed, small amounts of oil and gas bubbled out from under the joint by the injectors.
Oil leaks: having run a Triumph 650 Bonneville in the mid-seventies, I would observe that the time to worry is when the engine stops leaking. It means that all the oil has gone...
Take it as a "visual dynamic oil presence indicator system".
rg
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Ah, British Bikes, I too have been there with the primary chain case, sheet of glass, and grinding paste.........
Back to current oil leaks,when my BX diesel got more and more oily, most of it turned out to be coming from a split in one of the breather pipes where the pipe had perished near its join with the rocker cover.