Where,s that oil from?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

d4mop
My Cars:

Where,s that oil from?

Post by d4mop »

I have been looking round at getting a ZX TD as a runabout to go to and from work during the week and also for lengthy trips up the motorway to go and see family.
I looked at a ZX 1.9TD Avantage M reg last night which I was told had recently had a service (60 miles ago) and there appeared to be some oil below where the oil filter is however the oil filter and its sealing edge both appeared to be clean.
Could this oil be leaking from somewhere else or is it likley to have been left over from a particulary dirty oil change[?]
All comments gratefully received as i am off to have another look at the car this afternoon whilst it is slightly lighter and i might get a chance to test drive it aswell.
Many thanks
Damo
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

You always get oil down the block in front of the oil filter when you change it - look at the angle of the filter (unless you punch a hole in it and wait about 40 minutes, and even then it still leaks). If the sealing edge is dry then it should be OK. Mind you, my sister's Visa developed an oil leak in this area that turned out to be the oil pressure switch not sealing properly - some PTFE tape sorted that out.
Make sure you check in the header tank for bubbles when the engine is running, and that it doesn't generate a lot of coolant system pressure in a couple of minutes from cold start - both pointers of head gasket trouble which is best avoided!!
edd001
My Cars:

Post by edd001 »

oil leaks will never rise so if it goes up as far as the oil filter it is that but if it is clean but dirty just below it with nothing else there which would leak it suggests that it was not cleaned when the filter was changed.(very annoying)
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

If the oil is collecting in that ridge just above the sump gasket it could be coming from the oil filler neck. Theres only a thin rubber 'O'ring on that and I eneded up having to replace the whole filler neck and dip stick. I did how ever stop the worst oil leak I've ever had on any car. £20 inc vat for OE parts from Cit main dealer.