First Xantia, Petrol or Diesel ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Pepe
My Cars:

First Xantia, Petrol or Diesel ?

Post by Pepe »

Looking to buy my first car, I'm going tomorrow night to see two Xantia.
The first one is a CITROEN Xantia 1.9 Turbo Diesel
Dimension, N reg, 89,000 miles, and the second one is a CITROEN Xantia 1.8 LX 16v,1997 R reg, 36000 miles.Both at the same price.
Could you give me opinion on which one is better, and could also tell me what are the basic points I need to check tomorrow night when I see the cars.
Thanks in advance for your help.
ralph
My Cars:

Post by ralph »

Ask yourself whether you need the extra economy of the diesel.
If not, the petrol (if it's not clocked), has had two less years of salty roads corroding parts, sleeping policemen smacking the suspension etc.
Petrol Xantias are a giveaway, but make all the usual checks to paperwork and condition to verify the mileage – 36K in 6/7 years isn't a lot.
Age and counts for a lot in terms of repair costs, and if you're going to do it yourself, time. There's more chance of siezed bolts etc on an older car.
Regular servicing is the key to reliability.
The XUD is a great engine, but not the most economical diesel, so if I wan't doing big mileage, I'd favour the younger car.
s1zx

Post by s1zx »

The 1.9td has metalic paint velour seats and metalic paint and foglights which the lx may or may not have dependintg if its pre may 97. its more economical by a good amount. in the long run the engine might last longer but it does have more miles.it is cheaper to ensure if thats an issue (not always and maybe not that much) the bad parts are the airbag will need replacing soon as will the cam belt most likely also some diesels have problems with failing injectors
the petrol on the other hand is newer and if its genuine miles its a good deal. its a quicker car to .Also big costs/ problems are usualy seen 10 years or 100k in xantias If it hasnt got a FSH id be suspicios because if it has done those miles it can only have been owned by 1 person, and I would definetly check if its been run in a city like london as small miles there can mean alot of abuse (cheack heavy seat wear loose seatbelts etc).
the big issues with them is faulty engine management systems (can be prety obviose but sometimes not.). and obviosely suspension is a problem if it isnt maintained well ther will be problems. With suspension you want to check it runs at the right height moves up and down smothely without sticking and if its very hard over bumps you will most likely need new spheres (not to expensive but a good bargaining tool)
Personaly i prefer the 1.9td (I feel old) but on the face of it id go for the 1.8 because lets face it xantia diesels hold there money as they make great taxis
edd001
My Cars:

Post by edd001 »

i had a mondeo deisel and it was a great car clocking over 250000 miles but the problem i found is the amount of extra work needed to maintain it and that it can be a lot more money if somthing dose go wrong. I now have a petrol xantia whitch is about double the cost on petrol but easierand cheaper to work on. in my opinion go for the petrol unless you dont mind spending the extra time and money with maintaining a desiel.
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Pepe</i>

Could you give me opinion on which one is better, <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Not an easy question to answer.
The petrol is old enough to have been abused, the diesel may have been looked after.
For driving, the 1.8 petrol is a little underpowered for my tastes, the extra torque of the diesel would be a much more relaxing drive.
I would say don't go assuming you are going to buy either of them. The slightest sign of anything untoward then walk away. There are lots more cars out there.
And check what insurance is going to cost you first. Especially with this being your first car. That might put you off altogether.
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

If you want to buy a very good Xantia at a bargain price you could try http://www.xm-centre.com/. They have my old 2.0 VSX which is in very good nick and well looked after, only thing is it's an auto so not to everyones taste, but it a top spec car.