TD ZX 2nd hand purchase adivice

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jimech
My Cars:

TD ZX 2nd hand purchase adivice

Post by Jimech »

I've just signed up, so i hope this'll work!
I'm looking at buying a 2nd hand (or higher!) 5 dr diesel ZX, preferabley turbo. Can anyone give me any advice on things to look out for, common faults etc. Been told to look out for overheating, what would be some typical signs / symptons? Also heard that cjanging head gasket at 100k is typical, is this right, or a result of the overheating?
Any advice would be appreicated
James Unwin
Simon Canfer
My Cars:

Post by Simon Canfer »

Regarding overheating, there seems to be a pattern of radiator failure leading to head gasket failure on the ZX TD. This may or may not be due to incorrect bleeding of air when the new rad is installed. Do a search here on "bleeding ZX" for the correct procedure...!
Head gaskets do fail, I've only had to change one in 85k miles of ZX TD ownership. More comon are radiators (my pet theory is that road salt corrodes them from the outside-in, so wash them!)
One real pain on these and many other cars is the heater matrix failing, (cabin heater) it's a day's labour to get at it...look for wet front carpets.
Other little things on the ZX are failing rear subrame mounts, dodgy electrical grmelins like alarms going off off their own accord, and central locking hassles. Handbrake cables sag and fail.
On the whole they're great cars and real good value now. But then you'd expect us to say that...
Simon Canfer
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Hi and welcome James. (any relation to Stanly?) [:o)]
If you maintain the car well, theres no reason why it shouldn't get to 200,000 miles or more.. tlc goes a long way with a ZX diesel.
My own choice would be a pre 1994 model, (it has a slot instead of a grill) no ecu, no cat, no turbo, less things to go wrong. [:)] But thats just my personal preferance.
As for what to look for its the same on any car really. I will leave it to the more informed/experienced members to advise you further. [^]
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Don't forget the electric windows. Slow winders in both directions, easy fix though with light oil on guide ropes. Glow plug behind diesel pump not being changed. My 1993 L reg has 146k on it and it's going great 52MPG but has a grumbling drive shaft. A goid cheap motor with parts cheap from GSF. Plenty about to have a look at so don't just take the first.
Simon Canfer
My Cars:

Post by Simon Canfer »

I can only advise you to change that driveshaft Jimech! At that mileage I had a driveshaft go big style after hitting a pothole :(
Simon
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

I think it's the / a drive shaft as every now and then I get this rumble, knocking from under the car, nothing to loud and only for a couple of seconds on pulling away up hill. I and 2 garages (one a Cit garage)have had a look and been un able to find or hear any thing.