Engine oil pressure warning light

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

woodjon

Engine oil pressure warning light

Post by woodjon »

Hi
I have a new 2.0HDi Desire and have a possible problem with the Engine oil pressure warning light on the dash
Does this light up when the ignition key is turned on and go out when the engine is started ? Or does it only come on if you have a problem ? Mines off all the time.
Thanks
Jon W
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

As a lamp test only - this warning light should come on initially when key turned to driving position.
Once the engine is running - the oil pump provides pressure to the engine internals - and the lamp then distinguishes.
You may have a problem with either the bulb - or the wire on the oil pressure switch. In rare cases the pressure switch itself.
The pressure switch provides an earth path for the warning lamp with no oil pressure (engine stopped) - simply shorting the cable to earth should make the lamp come on.
Donno if this wiring in fact is multiplexed - but it should function/test the same way.
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

Jon, I have just taken delivery of a Berlingo HDI Desire on the 1st March and like yourself discovered that the oil pressure switch was not illuminating. I phoned the dealer last week and it has been booked in for the end of the month for this and the 1st service. The dealer 'believes' the light should illuminate in the usual manner but I am now wondering if the wiring set-up has changed. Rather than trust the dealer I might ring Citroen UK and see if they know more.
RichardM

Post by RichardM »

As my Berlingo (2.0 Hdi Desire) is currently in dock while they sort this problem out, I thought I would register and contribute. The symptoms were that the oil level warning display had a mind of its own, displaying different levels according to its mood, weather, diet etc...and the oil warning light did not illuminate when the ignition was switched on. A faulty sensor was diagnosed, which had to be ordered (as did the faulty rear wiper arm, which is still not in - but I digress) Dropped the car off yesterday, given a 'loaner', a Nissan Micra - now officially the worst car I have ever driven, so bad I took it back 30 minutes later to tell them I preferred to walk! Then got given a Xsara, not bad... Anyway back to the plot - the dealer called me yesterday afternoon to tell me that the time to replace the faulty sensor was - <font color="red">5 hours</font id="red">![:0] Apparently the manifold has to be removed to get at it. Fortunately Citroen UK/Solent Citroen will be paying for this, but if you have this problem get it fixed under warranty.
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

In relation to the oil pressure warning light, the final answer I received was that the pressure light will only operate if there is a fault. Mine was 'checked' and found to illuminate when tested.
Strange, these new cars.
RichardM

Post by RichardM »

Got the Berlingo back, finally, oil pressure light still does light up. Spoke to Citroen again, "it should come on when the ignition is turned on" car booked in again for the 24th, watch this space. They tell me it is not linked to the oil level lights "on a different circuit". Seems like different Richards are told different things...[:D]
Richard