What spheres for a 1.8i 16v Xantia [?]

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Tom.Abd
My Cars:

What spheres for a 1.8i 16v Xantia [?]

Post by Tom.Abd »

<font color="blue">Hi all,
Got new sphere's fitted to the Xantia last weekend, and it's been feeling a bit strange ever since (err the suspension that is [:I]). Decided to take a quick shifty to check the part numbers and :
Rear Sphere N45366-SP862
Front Sphere N45332-SP857
Has a quick check on the GSF site and, although a little vague, the table and parts list seem to suggest the correct parts are N45330 for the fronts and N45364 for the rears.
Before I go and diplomatically point out the mistake to the garage can anyone confirm if the sphere's fitted are the right or wrong ones. If it has any affect the car is a 2000 (W) LX w/ antisink, non-hydractive.
Any help much appreciated,
Tom.
</font id="blue">
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Going by the online shop (which isn't allways as clear as would be liked) you allready have the correct ones fitted for a 1.8 16v, same as for the 1.9td.
Those spheres will give a slightly firmer ride for the more sporty engine types, if you want to go softer with it you ought to have spheres for a 1.9D fitted, which are the ones you have suggested should be on now.
What is going on with the ride, and has it been given a good dose of citaerobics since the change.
Dave
dgs
My Cars:

Post by dgs »

I put CX spheres on my 1.9TD and the ride is fantastic front cx spheres 500/75/1.9mm rear xantia 1.9TD spheres (intendet to mount on front) 400/55bar(lowered to 40)/1.5.
Original spheres for my xantia 1.9td are front 400/55/1.5mm rear 400/30/1.0mm. Bigger the xxx/xx/x.x numbers better the ride comfort. If you don't want to experiment put 1.9d spheres 400/70/1.65mm front 400/40/1.1 rear but I would recomend you to put more comf spheres. I bought my originals in citroen service so i dont know the serial number for gsf
Tom.Abd
My Cars:

Post by Tom.Abd »

Cheers Dave / dgs.
Yep a good dose of citaerobics has been taken. And as for the ride, I can only go on what it felt like before from memory. At low speeds, especially under breaking, it wallows a little (bit like a boat). At higher speeds it just feels a bit harder than remembered, almost feeling every bump on the road.
In summary - almost exactly like going from the 1.8 / 1.9D to the 1.8 16v / 1.9TD should feel like. Smaller dampening orifice therefore a bit bumpier at speed, less gas pressure therefore a bit more more wallow at low speeds. I'll give it a while longer to get used to before deciding if I will change them or not.
Did,'t look at the onlise store, but agree it definately calls out the front sphere now fitted (N45332) but the back is v vague. I was going on the GSF sphere table which makes it look like it's only the 2l 16v that takes the harder spheres and the 1.8 8v&16v goes for the other set - perhaps a revision is in order ??
ofirn
My Cars:

Post by ofirn »

Hi dgs,
I took your advice on the spheres ( 1996 2.0 Petrol xantia saloon) and ordered the 400-70-1.65 95666858 for the front. I'm keeping the old ones on the back for now. The reason is that the original 500-55-1.5 95666857 seems to be obselete( can't be ordered anymore). And also the number system replaced to short numbers like 527130,527176 ?
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Tom.Abd</i>

Cheers Dave / dgs.
Yep a good dose of citaerobics has been taken. And as for the ride, I can only go on what it felt like before from memory. At low speeds, especially under breaking, it wallows a little (bit like a boat). At higher speeds it just feels a bit harder than remembered, almost feeling every bump on the road.
In summary - almost exactly like going from the 1.8 / 1.9D to the 1.8 16v / 1.9TD should feel like. Smaller dampening orifice therefore a bit bumpier at speed, less gas pressure therefore a bit more more wallow at low speeds. I'll give it a while longer to get used to before deciding if I will change them or not.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I think your understanding is a little bit off - lower gas pressure means stiffer springing which doesn't mean more wallow, quite the opposite in fact.
In my experience wallow is caused mainly by a damping hole that is too large, and can be exacerbated by a gas pressure that is too high.
Regards,
Simon