Xantia TD clutch odd ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mark_sp

Xantia TD clutch odd ?

Post by mark_sp »

Car passed its MOT yesterday but didn't think I was going to get it to the test station.
Friday morning drove into work, car behaved as normal. Friday evening departing work, started car, put into first and pulled off - no problem. Came to change into second and could not get it to go in, didnt try and force it. Stopped the car and noticed that there seemed to be some free play at the beginning of the clutch pedal travel that was not previously there. Pushed the pedal a few times and the free play disappeared. Managed to drive the car home but 2nd and 3rd gears very notchy. Used the car all day Saturday and the notchiness has reduced but it's still there?
Car is 1998 1.9 TD.
any ideas ?
Thanks Mark
edd001
My Cars:

Post by edd001 »

is it a hydrolic clutch, if so have you got air into the system or a leak.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Sounds like its got an auto adjusting cable and the adjuster is going daft, have a look at the gearbox end of the cable, if it terminates with a nipple then its an auto type, otherwise it will have a length of thread at the cable end for manual adjustment.
Dave
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

I had similar symptoms, but not quite as noticeable, when I had a new clutch cable on my '97 Xantia TD. For the first week or so there sometimes seemed to be a bit of slack in the cable when pressing the pedal down. I think it was caused by the auto-adjuster, and it settled down of its own accord.
If yours is the original cable it could be a sign that the adjuster is packing up.
I don't think the 1.9TD was ever fitted with a hydraulic clutch ??
Nick
mark_sp

Post by mark_sp »

Thanks
Dave yes it is auto adjusting cable. What I should also have mentioned is that the car had a new clutch in 2002, its in the service records but no other details. Car has now done 69K. When I got the car the clutch was very light but it has firmed up over the last year and now this. Currently there is no excessive free play and the car is drivable but the 2nd and 3rd changes are baulking. Could the cable cause this (even though there is no free play) or is it likely to be something more expensive ?
Cheers
Mark
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Yes the cable could cause this if there is insufficient travel being produced to completely disengage the clutch, because of the adjuster.
With this type of cable the clutch pedal should be hard against its return stop when at rest, on pressing the pedal there should be no more than 1" of travel before the cable loads up.
If there is no excessive play then the problem is either with the clutch its self, could be as simple as rust on the input shaft causing clutch drag, or the box, possible low oil level is likely to cause such symptoms.
If the clutch is getting heavy I'd be ready with a new clip, especialy if its got an original black plastic one fitted, they soon give up the ghost compared to the glass filled white nylon type, might be an idea to beat it to it and do the clip and cable at your leisure, rather than break down somewhere.
Dave