Replacing Core Plugs

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

G4EIY
My Cars:

Replacing Core Plugs

Post by G4EIY »

Hi,
I have just dicovered a leaking core plug in the rear of the engine block on my BX TZD Turbo Diesel.
Fortunately it's the at the gearbox end just below the exhaust manifold, where more space is available.
Has any one repleced a core plug with engine insitu, any pointers or hints would be appreciated prior to starting the task.
Cheers
Brian
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Hi Brian -
Should be dead easy.
Drain the coolant - then remove the plug - tapping a hole in it - then use a standard cork puller to get it out.
The new plug is tapped in squarely using a matching memberpiece - like a piece of wood or suitable socket.
Core plugs are standard bits - like bolts & washers - just find the correct diameter and depth.
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Its been a million years since I last did one on a Jag, proceedure was as described by Anders, but I seem to remember painting round the hole and the new core plug with red-lead to aid sealing before I put it in?..
G4EIY
My Cars:

Post by G4EIY »

Hi Anders & James,
I like your thoughts "should be dead easy"...
I am sure you are aware of the working space availabe, no way can I get a drill in there and then tap a thread in the hole, unless you mean punch a hole.
I may be able to do that, but it will be off center and at an angle.
I have made a tempoary fix, using some epoxy that I brought back form the US, is used for repairing swimming pools and sets under water !!!...
I will try and source some plugs on Monday..
Thanks again.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

When the one behind the fuel pump failes on my BX TD it was an enormous dismantling job to get at it, when it came out it was nearly perfect leaking around the edge, 99%sound, if I had found that epoxy or some barrs................
Stewart
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

You shouldn't need a drill; just whack a sharp cold chisel or an old woodworking chisel at an angle on the plug, they are only thin.It will punch straight through and then you can just lever the plug out.
Use a very thin smear of hylomar or similar when you put the new one in.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

BXbodger is right : NO DRILL !