C5 mk1 first headscratch disaster

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

cornesoutafrica
My Cars: 1973 DS 21 Semi auto
1968 ID 19 break
2001 Citroen C5 Exclusive 3.0 V6
2004 Citroen C4 VTS coupe 180
2008 Citroen C6 Exclusive 2.7 HDI V6

C5 mk1 first headscratch disaster

Post by cornesoutafrica »

Hi everyone.

I had a very very bad day with my prized mk 1 c5 3.0 v6.
She has just ticked over to 88000km from new ad I had a complete disaster while traveling. I was cruizing along at a normal 75mph and noticed a slight jerk when I was driving along and pushing the gaspedal to overtake a car. I thought it must be gearbox. It had a slight jerk. Almost like a clutch judder. It got progressively worse and before I knew a catalytic convertor and emmission system flashed on the dash and the engine and service light came on. Immediately the instantanious petrol consumption on the LCD screen went to 0.00

I stopped as soon as it was safe. Clearly this is not a gerbox problem. But an engine problem. She was missing terribly at idle and now noticed that it was the car missing. Switched off the car. Switched back on and she was idling perfect again. Even in gear she was perfect again. After a short while the missing was back and peep peep. Error code catalytic converter and emission system. I couldn’t just go home. I was 200miles from home. Checked the coils. One was seemingly dead. Fortunately got my dad to bring me one. Fitted it after he arrived. Idling was good again..... only a few seconds and it started again. Somehow got to a parts shop and replaced the sparkplugs. All 6. In front of the shop. Started the car. Sounded good.... only a few seconds. By now my whole trip was a mess and I travelled to my friend which wasn’t very far. But had to drive the car there. She had very little power. Sounded like only 3 cylinders were running.

Got at his place. Parked the car and he brought me home as I could not have a look. Due to this whole trip being me fetching friends from overseas at the airport.
I know without getting my diagnostic on the car I won’t know exactly what the problem could be. But anyone ever experienced these symptoms? It is the worst feeing that my car is not with me and secondly it is broken. By now my catalytic convertors are probably damaged beyond repair.

The fuel instantanious use that went to 0.00 is quite weird. Has anyone experienced these symptoms?

Thanks
Corne