Camshaft Oil Seals BX Diesel

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

G4EIY
My Cars:

Camshaft Oil Seals BX Diesel

Post by G4EIY »

Hi,
I am having a problem sealing both ends of the camshaft on my Bx Turbo Diesel.
The gearbox end of the shaft has been scored by a previous so called "Mechanic", when replacing the seal.
The other end of the shaft is groved where the seal has been rubbing.
I have tried all sorts of tricks, filling the scores with epoxy, then rubbing down to the metal, putting the seals in different locations to the wear rings, also reducing the width of new seals so they locate on the unworn part of the shaft.
All these tricks only last a short while, then the oil leaks again.
Question: I do have a camshaft from a non turbo diesel, can this be used, and if so what happens to the power band?...
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

No personal experience, but I think that someone on this or the citroenz forum has done this swap before, purely in the quest for extra power on their turbodiesel. comments welcome to temper my ignorance.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Stefan, who posts on one of the othe forums occasionally, has done this on his tuned BX TD. I think we discussed the cams, and Haynes actually lists the lift, duration and overlap in the brown version! From memory, the 1.9 N/A and 1.7 TD use the same lift, but the 1.9 has a longer duration and overlap, the 1.7 uses even longer duration, and has more lift. Thus, in theory, the 1.7 should give the 'best' performane, but you might need to tweak the injection pump to get the most out it! I think the differences are small though, so you might not even notice it! You will of course have to reset all the valve clearances which is a pain (cam shaft in, out, in, out, shake it all about....)
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

According to my Taxi repairing mate (born with an XUD engine in his mouth) The camshafts can be swapped directly and providing there have been no valve clearance adjustments on either motor then it should be okay! this is due to all of these engines being built by robots and virtually identical, worth a look.
Stewart