My cars at rest

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jon

My cars at rest

Post by Jon »

The ZX is still ticking over (with its lights on) to cool the turbo as its just come back from Birmingham, The Multispace has done b*gger all, all day as usual.
Ahhh, Citroens at rest.[^]
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

Nice,
how come the rear wheels on the Berlingo appear to be tilting like a BX's with stuffed rear arm bearings [:0]
seeya,
Shane L.
Jon

Post by Jon »

Good question Shane, as its only done 900 miles from new!! The answer is that my drive slopes badly to the left!
This "fault" will no doubt be rectified when I put an Aussiefrogs sticker in the rear window this w/end.[:)]
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

How long does a good turbo cool take? I may need to know soon.....
Jon

Post by Jon »

at least 30 seconds!!!! Depends on how hard you've been driving really.!!
CITMAN
My Cars:

Post by CITMAN »

How do you put pictures on the forum
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

You put pictures on like this ....
Helpful [:D] Image
seeya, [:o)][}:)]
Shane L
Brian Oblivion
My Cars:

Post by Brian Oblivion »

Jon, I've just enjoyed a month of citroen zx td ownership, I've read the manual about leaving the car ticking over after a run but thought it meant the running in period?? I tend to take about 10-15 secs before switching the engine off is this enough?
Thanks
xantiaBFY
My Cars:

Post by xantiaBFY »

guys,
my pals here in Kuala Lumpur always seem to be debating this issue of turbo cooling down.I myself just install a turbo timer in which will kill the engine after a set time. The argument is it is not necessary to wait for the set time as the manual just ask to wait for a while.
what are your thoughts on this matter.I installed the turbo timer to save the hassle of waiting.
regards.
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

Folks
It is not just an issue of it cooling down. The turbo can be spinning at 150,000 RPM, and when you stop the engine, you remove the oil supply to its bearings - not good for it. The wait period allows it to 'spool down' to a standstill before you stop the engine, and therefore, the oil pump.
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

turbo timers....i remember when i drove the bosses mitsubushi pajero 4wd thingy (awful) for the first time, got to a petrol station, turned engine off and what the ?? it carried on running, had no idea what was going on, eventually spotted a small box with a led display counting down and it turned off after a minute :D
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

are turbo timers totally legal as im sure i read before that things like remote starts on alarm systems are not legal as the car can be started without the key and without you in it. So how does this work the other way around ie leaving the car running on a timer with you out of it and the doors locked?
ScottFromNZ
My Cars:

Post by ScottFromNZ »

I asked the question about turbo cooldown on this forum recently. Consensus was that it is not as critical as a petrol turbo engine due to lower exhaust temperatures. My BX handbook says "Let the engine idle for a few seconds before switching off" I think it is a personal choice. You won't harm it by playing safe and leaving it to idle for a minute or two after a hard run - say on the motorway.
I would think that the turbocharger would accelerate and decelerate very fast so by the time the engine had idled for 5 - 10 seconds it would have stopped turning. The other issue is heat soak into the oil. Consensus was use good oil (synthetic or semi - synthetic) and change it regularly. Others on this forum have said that the turbo is probably the most robust part of the car!
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Since Jon has reversed into his drive, the turbo will already have slowed down sufficiently - so he can turn the engine off directly (assuming he didn't do a reverse flip at 60 mph in second gear).
//NiSk
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

Jon, after my post last week about the Berlingo I've just noticed that oil pressure light is not illuminating before the engine is started, it might be worth checking yours. The sunvisors keep rattling against the bump-stops giving a very good impression of a Chinese water torture.[V] I've also found that the bracket holding the wiper motor in place is smothered in bright red rust.[:(!]
I've booked it in at Broads for the 30th March to include this work with the first service and will report the result back then. Not the best of starts to a new car!!!