MOT fail.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pauljordanie
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C4GP

Re: MOT fail.

Post by pauljordanie »

Thanks lads, so is it possible to con the ecu into thinking there is fluid there when there isn't? If so looks like I'll have to physically check. If not how do you prime the bag?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

The fuel additive circuit is primed using Diagbox / Lexia and will be detailed in there somewhere (depending on the versions you are using. It will likely be under the repair section of the injection ECU or additive ECU (as yours has a separate additive ECU - should be named EAS 200). But instruction are in there.

Be aware though that these do fail, usually at the time of resetting the additive counter!
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
pauljordanie

Post by pauljordanie »

I connected Diagbox and could see that the ECU thought there was 3L of additive. I then programmed that a new additive bag was added. It asks which capacity bag - (3L not listed!), I could go with 2.4L or 2.0L so went with 2.4L. All ok. Checked additive level it thought it had was 2.4L - fine. I could then test the additive pump - I could hear the whiring of the pump going for a few seconds. I could also activate the additive manually, did that twice. Additive level now shown as 2.25ml. Next test I think should be physically verifying that the additive is being pumped. It says " See emissions control procedure : checking additive pump flow, check that there is 20ml of additive after the operation." Does anyone have access to the emissions control procedure? Which pipe to disconnect to see additive is flowing?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

What version of Diagbox are you using?

I'm not sure about the pouch quantity.... but the additive counter needs to be reset to zero.

The additive pump testing is generally an audible test (as you have done). Further checks are for blockages - and involve a pressure testing / tool, connecting to the additive supply pipe and applying pressure. If it's equal to or lower than 400 mbars, it's fine, but if over this, the additive injector is jammed or the additive supply pipe is blocked.

Carry out the actuator test "filling of the pipe: additive pump - additive injector" primes it using the diagnostic tool.

Marc
pauljordanie

Post by pauljordanie »

I'm using Diagbox version 7.83. I cant find anywhere to reset the counter to zero, or the "filling of the pipe: additive pump - additive injector"
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

That version is a little high for your needs to be honest - some of the manual features are removed from 7.62 onwards, relying on server communication for some procedures. For the year of your car even V7.35 covers vehicles up to March 2014, but 7.58 is a good stable version.

You'll need to go into the injection ECU and from there should an option for 'Pack Repair' or such - where you then see the option for the additive / set the additive level to zero. It should be a guided instruction from there. It may be different as you have a separate additive ECU though as I mentioned previously. If you can't find it in the injection menu as describes above, then undertake a global test and look for the EAS 200 ECU in the list of ECUs provided after the test.

Go into that ECU and look at the menu options for repair or particle filter etc. I can't be specific as I only use V7.62 and have a different vehicle system and engine to you.

Marc
pauljordanie

Post by pauljordanie »

I connected using Delphi and was able to reset the counter. I'll keep an eye on the regen history and see if it records one in the next couple of days. I'll also reinstall Diagbox up to version 7.58. I did come on a repair procedure in the additive ECU, it asks for the RPO no. I entered mine and it says because the vehicle is pre 2009 it wont let me go any further. The car is 09 but manufactured in 08.

An almighty thanks for all the help lads! =D> =D>
pauljordanie

Post by pauljordanie »

So I uninstalled Diagbox and reinstalled to version 7.58 - it does seem to work better and is more stable.

I dropped the additive container and the bag is full. I've had this car for 2 years and so I'd expect the bag not to be full. I activated the pump through diagbox and the pump whirs and I get fluid coming out of the outlet pipe to the fuel tank. The fluid drips rather than comes out at any kind of pressure. It was more like a dripping tap and I wonder what the flow rate should be from the pump? I read that the additive is then injected into the fuel tank via an injector and so makes me worried there isn't enough pressure in the additive to activate that injector. Anyone any experience with these pumps?

Still no regen of DPF neither. I also noticed it belches black smoke once you go from low revs and put the boot down. Once keep steady revs it shows no smoke.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Only a very small amount is injected - I can tell you how much later as I’m out at the moment.

Marc
pauljordanie

Post by pauljordanie »

Thanks. I found a document that said to use a vacuum pump to check the additive pipe injector. Surely it meant a pressure pump as vacuum would suck on the pipe not blow down it.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

The tool is shown below: This is a vacuum pump - but is connected as shown so that the vacuum is created in order to simulate the fluid being pulled back towards the fuel tank in the picture shown. It is not forcing pressure into the supply line, it is pulling. If it's showing 400 or less mbars then it's not blocked, but if it is higher than 400 mbars on the dial then it is blocked and hence no additive will be reaching the tank.
Additive Vacuum Tool.PNG
Additive Vacuum Tool B.PNG
Manual vacuum pump DA16 with adaptorsIt's connected to the additive supply pipe shown

The unit capacity of the positive displacement metering pump is 6.45 mm3.

Marc
pauljordanie

Post by pauljordanie »

I got back to looking at this today. I drove the car and still smoke and no EML. However I scanned and I've now got two faults recorded.
Capture1.PNG
Attachments
Capture.PNG
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

At last, some codes...

Here are the specific codes as they relate to your engine and Injection System. So both faults would point towards the MAF (Mass Air Flow sensor). This is part number: 1610874680. I would first try and get some MAF spray cleaner and try and give it a very gentle clean without touching the fine wire and see if that improves things. These are not exactly cheap for an OEM replacement and to be honest, there are horror stories abound of cheap aftermarket ones that do not work, so be aware.

P0401
Fault codeP0401
After sales description of the fault codeAir system fault: Measured quantity of air higher than the setting
Description of the diagnosticsDiscrepancy for 10 seconds between the air flow setting and the measured air flow
Conditions of activation of the diagnosticsThe following conditions have to be met
- Consult the associated contexts for the Pcode forwarding conditions
- Engine speed between 750 and 2750 rpm
Conditions of disappearance of the faultVehicle driven for 5 minutes, remaining below an engine speed of 3000 rpm
Down-grade modes if fault presentDeactivation of diagnosis of coherence on the flowmeter
Switching on of the warning lamp and/or warning message-
Main customer complaints likelyNoise
Diesel fuel consumption a bit higher
Lack of power
Suspect areasElectric exhaust gas recycling valve
Air mixer
Air flow meter
Air leak after the compressor
Air flow sensor information incorrect
Vacuum problem
Variable geometry of the turbocharger jammed in the "maximum turbocharging" position
Turbocharging pressure sensor
Clogging of the exhaust gas recirculation circuit
P0100
Fault codeP0100
After sales description of the fault codeFlowmeter signal: Air flow not plausible
Description of the diagnosticsNegative difference of 200 to 300 mg/stroke between the measured air flow and the air flow reference value for 2 (for an engine speed higher than 1500 rpm)
Conditions of activation of the diagnosticsConsult the associated contexts for the Pcode forwarding conditions
Engine speed above 650 rpm
Conditions of disappearance of the faultDriving for 5 minutes with several full load accelerations for 10 seconds
Down-grade modes if fault presentUse of the flow calculated
Inhibiting of the diagnostics and air flow sensor plausibility
Cut-off: Cutting of the EGR butterfly (turbo air cooler), EGR valve and bypass butterfly (inlet air heater) in all operating modes
Cutting of the "exhaust heat recovery" function
Change to "easy move" torque invalid (Deactivation of automatic mode for the electronic parking brake)
Switching on of the warning lamp and/or warning message-
Main customer complaints likelyNoise
Diesel fuel consumption a bit higher
Lack of power
Suspect areasElectric exhaust gas recycling valve
Air flow meter
Air intake
Turbocharging pressure sensor
Electrical harness
Leak of air downstream of the turbocharger

Marc
pauljordanie

Post by pauljordanie »

Ok so I cleaned off the sensors, and erased the error codes. Still smoking black on acceleration. I took off the DPF as the Lexia readings for last reg and distance between regens was zero. Particulation filter soot reading was zero. I took off the DPF and split, it was full of soot but see this...I suspect someone has been here before...... Will this cause excessive black smoke? I need to get it through an MOT as its already failed on smoke. How can I tell if the DPF is mapped out of the ECU - I dont get any DPF faults or EML on?
Attachments
My_DPF.jpg
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

That'll do it.... No wonder it's not regenned - no diff pressure hence no signal to re-gen. If you fit a new DPF then it should get through the MOT - then you will need to see whether it will regen, and if not then we can start to work on why it's no regenning. Possibly the MAF faults are an indication....
Richard W