ZX rear bearings

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

greg

ZX rear bearings

Post by greg »

Can anyone give me an idea of what the rear bearings on the arms sound like when they are going?
Greg
Brian Oblivion
My Cars:

Post by Brian Oblivion »

When my 306 rear driver side bearing went it seized solid, there was no warning noise. So I'd guess if you chock the front tyres up and lift each side with the handbrake off you might be able to see if the wheel turns easily. Also see if it rolls down a slight incline/hill out of gear.
I drove my 306 20 yds to my garage (which is useful) with the tyre scraping on the floor refusing to rotate a mm. Got the full Starsky & Hutch burning rubber show!
batwad
My Cars:

Post by batwad »

In my experience, it's a fairly distintive droning noise of constant, low pitch that varies volume with speed - once you've heard one you'll spot another straight away. An indicator of which bearing is shot can be when cornering, as turning right places more strain on the left-hand bearings. This is exactly the problem I had when I bought my 306. Turned out the bearing was totally knackered; took the hub nut off only for the hub to come off with the outer race in the hub and the inner race stuck on the stub axle. No wonder the car sounded like a herd of cows when cornering!
I would also echo previous comments on this subject, and say that unless you're willing to spend an hour smacking the hell out of the old bearing with a 4lb lump hammer (a la me), take the hub and new bearing to a garage where they've got the correct tools to do the job. Unless you have too, in which case go for it :-)
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I think Greg is talking about a radius arm bearing and not a wheel bearing.....
On BX's they tend just to give a metallic 'clang' as you get in, but this may be way off what they sound like on a ZX!
Brian Oblivion
My Cars:

Post by Brian Oblivion »

Oops sorry, should have read that properly.
batwad
My Cars:

Post by batwad »

Ah, burger. My bad.
Jon

Post by Jon »

When they went on my old ZX Volcane the bearings squeaked badly when you went over bumps, and the wheel started to lean in when viewed from behind. Not an easy job.
greg

Post by greg »

Thanks everybody. It is really driving me insane!Sometimes it isn't there- there is just a sort of low warbling a bit like the pre replacement sub frame mount noises in miniature and then the next minute there is a sort of a crash.Tehcrash is unpredictable! I read on one of the posts that if you put it up on a hoist and then pushed the arm up hard you could tell if the thing had worn inside What I am worried about is the possiblity of a subframe replacement anyone know how much they cost at thge moment? andyspares doesnt seem to stock the whole unit
Greg