Accelerator pedal loose?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

James.UK
My Cars:

Accelerator pedal loose?

Post by James.UK »

I have just discovered my accelerator pedal is loose on its shaft, I can lift it about an inch and a half with no resistance whatsoever! it simply turns on the shaft it should be fixed too? I can't see quite what is supposed to hold it in place, (bolt-screw-pin?) can anyone tell me please?
Fixing this problem may help with its poor acceleration as I only have a very short travel (approx 2 inches) before the pedal touches the floor. I am hoping that lifting the pedal up as high as poss then fixing it in position may allow more fuel to reach the engine when the pedal is fully depressed. [:)]
I have been aware of this short travel since I bought it.. But thought it was normal on diesels.. Having just discovered all the play, I realise that may NOT be the case at all. duhh.. [:I]
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

On RHD export BX'es the acc pedal is reputed for being a problem.
Could be a similar problem you have ?
Known problems are :
1) bend/cracked pedal arm
2) pedal arm pivot point weak - missing a RHS-most support
3) pedal box mountings broken up
4) Especially on diesels - the acc cable fixing on the roto pump acc arm can be a problem making the pedal sit too low.
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Thanks Anders.. :-)
The pedal arm has a hole in the base at 90 degrees, through which passes a round shaft. (Possibly to enable the pedal to be slid off for repair-removal?) Its this 'joint' that is loose, the pedal is actually partialy rotating on the shaft it should be attached too..
Its not easy to see quite how the pedal is secured to the shaft, it could have a pin through it.. or maybe a small grub screw? maybe it was welded? (not likely tho) or bolted?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Hmmm....
Sounds as the pivoting bush on pedal arm in fact is welded on to the pedal arm - and now has dislodged in welding.
Easy option then seems to find a good s/h acc pedal.
- unless you have access to a MIG welder
- a few dots would then quickly solve the problem.
I think the pivoting pin is welded on to the pedal box - then a circlip is retaining the pedal on the pin.
Is the acc pedal fixing a rigid part of the complete pedal box assy ?
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Hi Anders. [:)]
The problem is inside the car down in the drivers footwell.. The square top of the pedal that your foot rests on (call this "A") is welded to a rod that goes down onto a bent rod that appears to be coming through the bulkhead (*maybe not), this operates the cable and appears to be working fine. The short bent section then passes throught a hole in the bottom of the rod welded to "A".. i.e. the acc pedal must have been slid onto the the bent shaft, and then secured in some way? but how?
Welding would certainly solve the problem, but would it prevent maintenance (like a cable change) if I make the pedal unremovable??
[:I]
I really need to get the car on a ramp at waist lever so I can get a better look at exactly what/where the bent shaft goes to..(*from your comments it may rock on a pivot of some sort out of sight under the dash bottom cover, the top of which would hold the cable and act as a puller?) Trying to see from kneeling position outside the car is no good, I need to get down into the footwell and maybe remove the carpet..? Although the loose bit itself is easily visable. [:)]
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

No matter how to solve the problem - it's going to be fiddly - and therefore "a bit" expensive in a garage.
You're definately right in getting the car on ramps/hoist in waist level - as otherwise your knees will for sure take som punding (ouch !) [B)] during this work.
Any chance a nearby garage allow usage of a standard hoist for a few hours ?
I suggest you try phone a few breakers asking for a complete pedal box - as this is the fastest option once you have allowance to a prof hoist.
Also you are then not left with the very frustrating problem trying to recover a completely duff pedal box - being under stress with time & ideas to repair it reliably.
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Hi Anders. [:)]
Just had a look in Haynes (sob sob) and my acc pedal set up is entirely different to the one shown! [:I] lol. To be fair I think the prev owner has made some mods to mine.. [:0] he too was disabled, maybe it had something to do with that?..
Anyway having made up a "snake" arm with a lil mirror on the end, and with a big lamp I can see that the pedal was in fact held in place by small spot welds on the back, and as you have already guest, those welds have broken, thus allowing some 'free' movement, but enough of them remains to prevent total rotation... [:)]
So its off to see my tame mech tomorrow to take him a can of lager and see if I can persuade him to 'tack' it back on again for me while I repair a couple of punctures for him.. he hates mending punctures [:o)] [:D] lol..
It will be interesting to see if the cars overal performance is altered in any way when this has been done. [8)]
Thanks again Anders for your advice and ideas. [^]
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Hhmmm... Nothing is ever easy! [:I] Having gotten into the floorwell It looks as though the prev owner may have had hand controls fitted and cut-off the original acc pedal!! When it was "restored" they bodged up replacing the pedal by bending the short bit that was left at right angles.. Then got a pedal from somewhere, cut the end off, hammered it flat, drilled a hole in it, slid it onto the bent bit and spot welded it on!! [:(!]
To cut a long story short, I have aquired a new pedal from a scrappy, and my tame mech is now fitting it for me..
You were right Anders [:)] it was the best solution.. Thanks again. [:)]