Buying a used C5 2.0 Diesel (2003)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

French_car
My Cars: Citroen C5 2003

Re: Buying a used C5 2.0 Diesel (2003)

Post by French_car »

Hell Razor5543 wrote: 27 Apr 2019, 19:34 Do make sure to read up on Citroens (especially if you have not owned them before). For example, before changing a wheel (where one or more will be hanging unsupported) make sure to lift the car to her full height using the suspension, open the bonnet, look for the cover marked with the word "Hydractive", remove it (there will be five slide 'rivets' holding it in place), and then loosen the cap with a steering wheel symbol on it. This is for the LDS reservoir, which is used for both the power steering and the suspension. If it is NOT loosened off before the car is lifted there is a possibility that air will be drawn into the reservoir, and then, when the weight comes back onto the wheels, the over-pressure could cause the reservoir to rupture. Loosening the cap allows the air to escape fast enough to protect the reservoir.

Please do NOT think that I am trying to put you off Citroens. I have owned five so far, and I am currently running a C5 Mk1 VTR estate (with a few issues, but I am managing (slowly) to resolve them (with the help of this forum)). For all of their foibles there is a lot to like about them. The HDi engine (which, it seems, that C5 you are looking at has) is, when looked after, very reliable and strong. Taxi drivers like it a lot, which should say how good it is.

Thanks for this information! People on this forum seem to be very helpful and I apperciate it.

I am not put off my your comment - in fact it might come in handy one day. I have never chanegd a tyre so I would have definiately got this part wrong!

The part about taxi drivers is interesting - makes me more likely to commit to this purchase!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Yes, that’s the folder structure as you describe.

Sorry almost forgot the other questions, there’s been a few other threads I’m dealing with at the same time.

Yes you do have a turbo. All HDi engines have turbos. This engine DW10ATED that you have is quite solid and rarely has issues.

As for the accelerator, both types are shown for you vehicle. The reason being is that some of these were fitted with the mechanical cable, but there was a modification to replace these with the purely electronic ones.

So I suspect you have the cable based one. If there were issues, they would now replace it with he modified version.

Here are both types for you to see:
6EC8F20E-81D5-4E2D-B769-D06B2FD29A6C.jpeg
CEF971F5-9458-49A0-AA8A-C9899A23F5FE.jpeg
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
French_car
My Cars: Citroen C5 2003

Post by French_car »

Thanks!

I appreicate the effort you have put in to helping me.

I plan to put my deposit down tomorrow, so I guess I will be hanging around here :)
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow