FLASHING OIL LEVEL LIGHT

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

paranoid
My Cars:

FLASHING OIL LEVEL LIGHT

Post by paranoid »

Since changing the oil when I first bought the car, about ounce a month the oil level light flashes for about twenty seconds when I turn the ignition on.
I use fully synthetic and it uses no oil, and the car is usually hot when this happens, If I turn the ignition off it goes out and doesn't come back on.
there doesn't seem to be any pattern to it............ANY IDEAS ANYONE.
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

I found this with my Xantia, fully synthetic oil makes it flash a lot, with semi-synthetic it does it occasionally, with mineral oil it never flashes. Its very common with Xantias, being parked on unlevel ground, and/or re-starting with a hot engine seems to make it happen more too.
I don't think there is any cure as such, and its not really a good enough reason to stop using synthetic oil if the engine runs fine on it.
You'll probably just have to learn to live with it, its not really a 'fault' as such.
Nick
Brian Oblivion
My Cars:

Post by Brian Oblivion »

I get it all the time, check the oil level after and its fine??????
TomH
My Cars:

Post by TomH »

happens to me quite a lot when I park nearside to the kerb...just the road camber I suppose.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

I had this light flash on my last Xantia. The light would start to flash at startup for a few seconds in the weeks approaching an oil change, after the oil change there would be no flashing. Since the car didn't actually use any oil at all I found this rather strange.