ZX 1.4i 1996 M Oil leak from throttle housing

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

liefcop

ZX 1.4i 1996 M Oil leak from throttle housing

Post by liefcop »

Hi
Does anyone know why I have a leakage of oil from the throttle housing on my ZX 1.4i 1996? It is coming from where the plastic top which attaches to the air filter also sits on the housing. I have taken the plastic top off the housing and the filter, and found one rubber sealing ring only on the housing. There is a space for another one at the top of the housing but it is empty. The only other thing I can think of is the crankcase breathing system but don't know where to start with checking that. Grateful for any advice. David
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Seems that oil fumes in un-usual amounts are reaching the throttle housing.
There are no oil feeds up here.
Wether you like it or not - you have to go over all the fume hosings - to find any problem. This could very well be the infamous "mayonnaise" problem - oil mixed with water.
Any blockage is known to cause pressure in the fumes hosing - possibly pressing up oil to the throttle housing.
The problem is known to cause the oil dipstick "Geyser" out - followed by messy amounts of engine oil - as the "mayonnaise" freezes to solid clogging - because of it's water content.
liefcop

Post by liefcop »

Thanks for the reply. I will try to get to grips with it on the weekend. Someone has just frightened me by saying that if it is not the breather tubes it will be the pistons and that will cost huge amounts of money. Would there be a possibility of that I wonder? David
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

Mine's been a bit oily around there for years - its not anything to worry about on its own unless there is a large amount of oil.
Try removing the plastic bit that goes to the air filter, give it all a good clean and renew the sealing ring. Make sure you press it back on to the throttle body tightly or it will let in air and let out oil.
liefcop

Post by liefcop »

Thanks for the help. I found that the tube from the air filter to the manifold had become rock hard and split. It must have happened before because it had been shortened quite a bit. New tube £3.95. No more oil so far. What a relief! Visions of piston problems gave me nightmares for a few days. Thanks again for then replies, David