ZX: diesel consumption

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dieseldan

Post by dieseldan »

Hi all
I get 42mpg average with mixed driving. On a motorway run I get 45 at 75 - 85. Highest I've had is 52 on motorway at 70mph for 350 miles (v. boring) just to see how high I could get. Lowest I've had is 37, that was pasting it though!
I'm 31 by the way!!
Dan
guzzidom

Post by guzzidom »

I've got a petrol 2.0i Xantia Vsx that averages 25mpg on my daily rat run, I think you're all just showing off
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

I find that atmo diesels return about the same however you drive them but turbos vary enormously according to driving conditions and style.
Simon Canfer
My Cars:

Post by Simon Canfer »

I've had two ZX TDs, one 1992, one 1997. The later one is slightly heavier on fuel but still, if you're getting below say 45mpg you "could do better"! (This is about 500 miles per tank).
I think my averages were just over 50mpg for the 1992 model and around 48 for the 1997 (which is a heavier car).
One thing I noticed as I got older was that heavy acceleration doesn't really get you there any faster. It only costs you more. Furthermore you can at least double the cost of the diesel for the real cost (tyres etc). (Unless you have a bike and can overtake hundreds of vehicles on your trip!) Heavy acceleration and/or very high speeds are what really use the fuel.
Regarding the Xantia comments; they're heavier than the ZX so will use more fuel!
I've posted before on how to get really good mpg, so go search...
Simon Canfer
TomH
My Cars:

Post by TomH »

my non-turbo 1.9D ZX doesn't get me more than 45mpg... probably my driving style maybe, plus quite a lot of short cold journeys.
Also I notice the handbook gives afuel tank capacity of 54 litres... yet mine is full up with less than 30 litres from when the red fuel light comes on.
Simon Canfer
My Cars:

Post by Simon Canfer »

I can confirm you'd be lucky to get the full 55 litres, mine needed 50 litres the other day and that's a record in many years of ZX motoring. I find the last few take a little while to get in with supermarket diesel, as it foams so much. Shell on the other hand doesn't foam so much, so typically you can get more in before you get bored!
Sounds like you have a very early red light...
Simon Canfer
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Holy Zarquan Singing Fish...
Get a non turbo'd one... i get 54 to 58 mpg from my 1.9 (though its alost all motorway) but thats limiting my top end to 80 ish.
robsons

Post by robsons »

Hmmm
4th Diesel Citroen...
1st 1.7D BX - 40mpg average
2nd 1.9D ZX - Couldn't get LESS than 50mpg (typically 55) Used to be 24quid/420 miles - not like the volcane below )
3rd 1.9TD Xantia - 40mpg - though got 55mpg towing Car trailer with MG on 200 miles at 55mph (not joking!)
4th 1.9TD Volcane - 30 - 35mpg always.
I drive the same way in all my cars - ie flat out all the time but do 5000mile services (30K miles/yr).
Volcane is 1 granny owner from new and really shifts. Using my G-Tech performance meter I can get 10.4 sec 0 - 60's so better than book (and I'm not holding 2nd gear)
I love this car :)
mrbump
My Cars:

Post by mrbump »

I have only checked three tankfulls since the engine rebuild, and have managed 46.something and 48.something from my 1.9td volcane. I dont drive slowly either. The journey I do most days is a 3/4/5 gear a road. It suggests that the journey should take 1hr 58 mins on autoroute express, takes me around 1hr 5mins usually[:D]!
I also checked a tank of 50/50 diesel and rapeseed oil, only got 42mpg.
The diesel fuel i use is of the ribena variety, shouldnt make a difference should it?
How are people coming up with these low figures? eg, 30 something mpg?
Are you measuring the economy using the fuel gauge, or from top of tank to top of tank?
Cheers
robsons

Post by robsons »

Always's top of tank. Yes my Volcane is very thirsty even when I drive it sensibly - ie cruising motorway @65 - 70mph it gets under 45mpg.
I know it's running rich, as exhaust is black round the edge but uncommonly I don't get smoke ragging it to the red line (Easy to see in my old Xantia by looking at following cars lights in the dark). Was hoping to up the boost a bit to make up for the overfueling at medium revs but I'll not get the most out of it at the top end as it's not rich there.
I don't save much by going slowly - so I don't ;?)
BTW It always gets through emmisions at MOT.
How farst are these cars anyway - I can out pace my mate's Golf PD130 up to 100 (but then he gets me!)
jonathan_dyane

Post by jonathan_dyane »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mrbump</i>

I have only checked three tankfulls since the engine rebuild, and have managed 46.something and 48.something from my 1.9td volcane. I dont drive slowly either. The journey I do most days is a 3/4/5 gear a road. It suggests that the journey should take 1hr 58 mins on autoroute express, takes me around 1hr 5mins usually[:D]!
I also checked a tank of 50/50 diesel and rapeseed oil, only got 42mpg.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Actually, yes. 'Platinum' diesel is now low sulphur, which has lowered calorific value and makes for worse economy and performance. The 'ruby' red has the old levels of sulphur, bein' not for road use, and so will have a rather benificial effect...
mrbump
My Cars:

Post by mrbump »

Jonathan... thats like music to my ears[:D][:D][:D][:p]
Oldgit2
My Cars:

Post by Oldgit2 »

My ZX takes a while to warm up - if I do lots of short journeys, 40mpg or less, but on long runs on the motorway it'll do 50 no prob. If you regularly exceed 3500 revs, you count as a boy racer and shouldn't be driving a ZX. they're for retired ladies and gentlemen like myself.
VLL
My Cars:

Post by VLL »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Oldgit2</i>

My ZX takes a while to warm up - if I do lots of short journeys, 40mpg or less, but on long runs on the motorway it'll do 50 no prob. <b>If you regularly exceed 3500 revs, you count as a boy racer and shouldn't be driving a ZX. they're for retired ladies and gentlemen like myself.</b>
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Mine lives in the 3000-4000rpm range, but i'm not a boy racer, more a enthusiastic driver, and the car just laps it up!
naxia
My Cars:

Post by naxia »

Okay just to add spice to this thread, i have bought a XM 2.1td Auto (lovely car), it too £20 to do the journey hom (abou150miles) and i get bout 70 miles for £15, somthing must be wron but i dont know what i have posted i thread about it on http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... C_ID=16218, if any one can help with my problem, cheers