C5 Mk1 Estate tailgate wiper

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

aramsay
My Cars: '02 Citroen C5 Estate 2.2HDi
'97 Citroen XM VSX 2.1TD
'63 Hillman Imp.....

C5 Mk1 Estate tailgate wiper

Post by aramsay »

The tailgate wiper on my '02 / Mk1 C5 Estate hasn't worked for ages, mainly as the wiper spindle
that goes thro' the glass was seized.....

I took a notion the other day to try get it working again.....great idea !

Had to get another spindle / catch, as the original was totally soild, and I broke the casting
trying to press the spindle out..... So, that bit's nice an free now.

As for the wiper motor....can anyone confirm what voltages I should see at the connector plug
from the tailgate loom ? There is the yellow/green earth, plus x2 white wires going into the plug.
On the other side of the plug, the thicker wires to the motor are.....Earth / black, centre terminal / blue
& the top terminal / white. With the ignition on, I get 12v at the centre terminal, which goes to
zero about 4mins after switching off ignition. The top terminal doesn't appear to have any
power to it, even with stalk switch on & ignition. Fuse F2 OK.

Any ideas ?

Also, I have a couple of wiper motors I'd like to try check out before plugging them into the "live"
plug. On 1st motor, between Earth & Blue resistance is 43-ohm.....between Earth & White it
is 19-ohm. Does this indicate a burnt-out / shorted motor ?

On the other motor, the measured resistances are open-circuit for the above 2 tests.

Does anyone have a known good working motor they could check the resistances on pls ?
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: C5 Mk1 Estate tailgate wiper

Post by Peter.N. »

You can usually unseize those motors with a bit of brute force but it seems you have already tried that!. The motor draws a few amps so I would think its resistance would only be a few ohms but although I did have a C5 I don't now so can't really help you, although I do have a Haynes manual.

You could trying applying 12v to it, negative to the case and + to each of the leads in turn, just touch the lead on initially so you don't burn anything out. I will try and remember to look out the manual as it may give the lead colours.

Peter
aramsay
My Cars: '02 Citroen C5 Estate 2.2HDi
'97 Citroen XM VSX 2.1TD
'63 Hillman Imp.....

Post by aramsay »

I reckon it is the spindle that siezes, and then probably burns out the motor somehow.... And,
when I say the spindle, I mean the spindle that goes thro' the glass, and is part of the casting
assy. that includes the opening glass lock-catch.

As I now have a good spindle, I just wanted an idea of what voltages to expect at the plug, and
resistances on a good motor, across the terminals. I'm trying to avoid plugging a duff motor into
the car loom in case it shorts the loom....

The Haynes manul is no use for checking the wire colours.....the actual colours on the loom into
the plug are yel/green & x2 white, whereas the Haynes manual shows the yel/green earth wire OK, but the "live" wires as a Yellow one and a Beige one.....
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Not a lot of help then. One wire is the direct motor connection the other is the parking supply that keeps the motor running after you have switched it off until the correct position is reached. I wouldn't expect the motor resistance to be any more than about 5 ohms and the other wire to earth the same until the correct parking spot has been reached then it will go open circuit..

One wire will be permanently live (with the ignition on) the other will be live when the wipers are switched on. It shouldn't do any harm to apply 12v between the earth and either of the other leads to test it.

Peter
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I had an issue (after I resolved the spindle issue, similar to yours) where my rear wiper on my previous C5 was very intermittent. It turned out there was tarnish on the fuse legs and their socket in the fuse box (the fuse itself was fine). When I plugged the fuse in and out a few times the rear wiper started working properly. I wonder if you have a similar cause for your issue?
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!