Liqui Moly 2500 Central Hydraulic Fluid

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

My Cars: Xantia 1.9 n/a Diesel

Liqui Moly 2500 Central Hydraulic Fluid

Post by 1080 »

Hello, has anyone tried the above?
Had a search on here, plenty on their other products, can't find anything on this one. It's a replacement for LHM, is green in colour and the info direct from manufacturers state that it is used as a Replacement, rather than an Additive.

It does say that it mixes with LHM & LHM+ and can be used as an additive. I think this is one of the few times I've consciously been influenced by an advert: seen the banners on some TV sport coverage.
Been offered eight litres of the stuff as end of line product. As it'll be £3/litre, seems good value as retail is around £16/litre?

Whilst looking into the 'Liqui Moly' product range, I also wondered if any other additives/snake oil (have a look at 'Marvel Mystery Oil' on Wiki) used by other forum members have had success with. Over forty years as a mechanic, I can count the few products that have lived up to their name on one hand:

1. K-Seal. Did a seemingly permanent fix on 2.0 petrol 8-valve XM's head gasket. Lasted 10,000 miles & counting.

2. Wynn's diesel injector cleaner. They used it at main Citroen dealership to bring emissions down on XUD turbo-diesels for MOT. Poured into filter housing and worked every time.

3. Possibly the best one: Wynn's engine oil stop-leak used on a vicar's (Worth mentioning his profession, perhaps as it worked so well?) Citroen GSA absolutely pouring oil out from rear crankshaft oil seal. Emptied the sump within twenty minutes of light running. Completely cured leak with lasting - at least six months - result. Miracle cure!!

4. Used Molyslip in a very tired Lada 1500 gearbox which had an incredibly stiff-to-engage 4th gear after replacement clutch. Came in as a non-runner. I thought it was me, but when I went with the customer on road-test, it was obvious that it was faulty prior to me working on it. He changed from 3rd to 4th with such force, he almost crashed the car as the lever moved so easily : -)
So Molyslip helped a lot, but not a 100% remedy...
Thank you.
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Re: Liqui Moly 2500 Central Hydraulic Fluid

Post by white exec »

Liqui Moly's data sheet does state that the product is intended for LDS systems, not LHM/LHM+.
https://pim.liqui-moly.de/pidoc/P000389 ... 3.0-en.pdf

Liqui Moly do make some excellent products, eg their radiator/coolant system cleaner for removing oil/grease from the system.

Have used Wynn's diesel fuel treatment (injector/pump cleaner and lubricant). Contains cetane improvers (including naphthalene) which actually work. Product pretty much (completely?) identical to Miller's Diesel Power Plus and a similar product from 3CV. MSDS sheets readily available (ingredients etc) for all these products, unlike some others on the market.

Difficult gear changes sometimes caused by using GL-5 oil, where GL-4 is correct. This can lead to difficulty with gear changing and synchromesh. 75W-80 GL-4 should be used in PSA manual boxes. 75W-90 also makes life difficult, especially in cold conditions.

On our Toyota RAV4 D4D, where gear changes had always been baulky, even on the recommended 75W-75 (!) and GL-5 (Toyota specify GL-4 or GL-5), adding Molyslip to the box made no difference. Reading up on the two grades, I switched to 75W-80 GL-4 (Total Transmission 8, the same as in the Citroen), and hey-presto, easy gear changes for the first time.
Chris
My Cars: Xantia 1.9 n/a Diesel

Re: Liqui Moly 2500 Central Hydraulic Fluid

Post by 1080 »

Thanks for that, you saved me a lot of potential hassle.
Didn't spot that data sheet.
By the way, it always amazes me how knowledgeable some of you are on here. I've done the apprenticeship, made redundant (started my own garage before I was 21) been a foreman, run a successful French repair business until that ONE dreaded Xantia 1.9TD job ruined my health : -) )
So what?
Well I learned through endless cock-ups, made millions of cups of tea when I started working and THEN fitted two million number plates. I've had six XUD diesels in bits at once (don't fit a 17RD head gasket to a 19RD, it'll run but has an annoying 'Tick')
But you lot cannot of possibly gone through the learning curve that I had, or you'd be bankrupt.
Quite a few of you on here are even more geekier than myself.
Really, really, well done.
I still love motor vehicle engineering. Even after all these years...