Gear box oil

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

magicride

Post by magicride »

god, i am getting very confused now. been going thru the searches for old topis on gear box oil....

i am popping in a BE 3 box to replace the slush box in my Xantia ,

so far i poured in Esso BV 75W-80 oil to sort of flush and clean it.

haven't driven the car yet, but i intend to change to synthetic oil Redline MT90...already bought 3 quarts of these .......

i wana hear from those who have had bad experiences using oils other than the Esso Total BV CORRECT oil in these boxes.

permanent damage? whining diff? notchy shift?

cheers.
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

I used the wrong oil when I replaced my gearoil. I used an 80W/90 GL5 oil. That was 40-odd K miles ago now. Appears to have done no damage but initially the gearchange was 'heavier' - seemed slow and thick! I would have changed it there and then but with Slick 50 in it was an expensive task. Anyway, I've got used to the thick shift; either that or it has become better.
Pug Rifter long (20) - 41mpg - Gutsy for a 1.5!
Xantia 1.9 TD Temp.2 Break (97) - 208K@42mpg - Resting again.
Berlingo Multispace 1.6 16v (51) - 184K@36mpg - My shed! Still runs 15° retarded...
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

If you search here you'll find remarkable few incidences of gearbox problems and I think the general consensus is that whats recomended will do a perfectly good job and that there's little point in putting in anything else.

Some people have favorable experiences with additives which seem better for gearboxes than engines
jeremy