Gear box oil

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bernie
My Cars:

Gear box oil

Post by bernie »

I recently bought 2lt of g/box oil for my BX tzd turbo 1992 from GSF Portsmouth.
I was supplied with 80w/90 api gl4 ep oil.
Was this right?
At the time I questioned because I had bv last time.
I was told that's the right oil.
I'm having doubts.[?][?][?]
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

I normally use a straight 80 grade but recently I contacted my Total dealer & was also quoted the same as they supplied you.
I get the impression that the bv may no longer be available & this is the replacement.
90 may be a whisker on the thickish side but I doubt it will cause you problems.
I always use & recommend the Nulon G70 additive in BX boxes anyway & I feel if you add this to the first litre you put in, it should all be sweet.
Alan S
ohms69

Post by ohms69 »

Hi Bernie,
I put some 80w/90 ep oil into my TZD last week, and it totally mullered the shift action. It was crunchy like I've never known.
I've just bought some BV from GSF and will pout this in at some point next week.
I use BV in the 5 Turbo and the shift action is silky smooth...No nasty notchy action[8D]
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ohms69</i>

Hi Bernie,
I put some 80w/90 ep oil into my TZD last week, and it totally mullered the shift action. It was crunchy like I've never known.
I've just bought some BV from GSF and will pout this in at some point next week.
I use BV in the 5 Turbo and the shift action is silky smooth...No nasty notchy action[8D]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Wasn't the stuff you got the gl5 though and fully synthetic or something?
Alan S[?]
BigMac

Post by BigMac »

Is there a problem putting semi- or fully synthetic in older gearboxes? If so, how do you work out which is best for your box?
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

Like ohms69, my box is now notchy and difficult to change smoothly.
So is the BV oil GL4 spec?
ohms69

Post by ohms69 »

Just checked my bottle of BV and it doesn't say.
All I know is that this is the stuff recomended for Peugeot and citroen and it's 75w-80w, and despite what people say about syntetics, that's exactly what this is.
So are synthetics really that bad? I think not!
http://www.bbperformancetuning.co.uk/pr ... 25&id=1108
ohms69

Post by ohms69 »

Also, while we're on the topic of draining gearbox oil, what do people use to undo the drain plug?
The subframe is in the way to get the key I ususally use in there, and the head is stripped, so can't use a spanner.
I was thinking about undoing the engine mounting and lowering the engine but I'd prefer not to go down this route.[:D]
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Unbolt the transverse link and push the bottom of the engine forwards, while you have the plug out bang a new one back in and next time use a spanner, 21mm I think.
Dave
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

I'd go for 75/80 synthetic based every time, GL5 spec is fine for 99% of current gearboxes anyway.
The ones mostly that might need GL4 are some from the 1960s like my Land Rover, where they say the GL5 may contain substances that could harm the bronze(?) bushes/synchro rings.
You only need to go a litle bit heavy on the oil type and it ruins the change, particularly when cold.
David
BigMac

Post by BigMac »

OK, thats useful info. Before I got round to reading all the replies I was checking the Revue Technique specs: BE3 box is supposed to get BV 75W/80W, GL5 was used in other boxes (ME5T?). Why, I wonder ...
BigMac

Post by BigMac »

OK, thats useful info. Before I got round to reading all the replies I was checking the Revue Technique specs: BE3 box is supposed to get BV 75W/80W, GL5 was used in other boxes (ME5T?). Why, I wonder ...
ohms69

Post by ohms69 »

Just drained and refilled with the BV...And the shift is now silky smooth!![;)]
Very pleasd with the result[:D]
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ohms69</i>

Just drained and refilled with the BV...And the shift is now silky smooth!![;)]
Very pleasd with the result[:D]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Just drained mine because GSF supplied the wrong oil[:(!][:(!][:(!]
Refill with BV tomorrow[:)]
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

One of the problem of using synthetic oils in older gearboxes is that it is "too" slippery and can cause baulking in the synchromesh. See my comment in thread on synthetic engine oils below.
//NiSk