xantia front suspension

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

EDMORILLO
My Cars: CITROEN XANTIA
VW TIGUAN
ROVER 35OO (2OOO SHAPE)
SAAB 3000S

PREVIOUS CARS
MG MAGNET ZA 1956
AUSTIN CAMBRIDGE
AUSTIN MAXI
FORD CORTINA ESTATE
CITROEN ZX

xantia front suspension

Post by EDMORILLO »

Hi l am new to this forum l have an old 1996 xantia 1.9TD diesei which l have owned from new. My problem is when l went for the Control Technique (MOT) in France where l have lived for the past 12years and had no problem passing until now, it failed on the front suspension being bouncy and a lhm leak. As l had topped up the reservoir checking everything as usual the night before l think l over filled it. So l have a two post lift.l got underneath and found the green Y low pressure return off it was split. changed it then tried citrobics and it wouldn't rise at front. ok, so l followed the very well pictured instructions on your site and removed stripped and cleaned etc. Also changed front spheres right and left. After that it still felt bouncy a bit so changed accumulator sphere as well. Still the same l am now getting a bit paranoid about how much bounce there should be???? When you push down it springs up once over the normal level then settles ok. lt seems to be ok driving and braking no bounce, :?: but as this a new problem for me can anyone inform me of the correct feel for the front.THe back suspension just returns to normal level so l think there must be some other thing l am missing.HELP!!!
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Re: xantia front suspension

Post by white exec »

Hi, and welcome.
Could you post the car's VIN number, so we can be sure of the suspension system it has - Hydractive or non-Hydractive.

Where exactly was the low-pressure Y connector that was split?

When you say the front is bouncy, do you mean it feels too firm? Does it jump and hop over bumps in the road while being driven?
Chris
EDMORILLO
VW TIGUAN
ROVER 35OO (2OOO SHAPE)
SAAB 3000S

PREVIOUS CARS
MG MAGNET ZA 1956
AUSTIN CAMBRIDGE
AUSTIN MAXI
FORD CORTINA ESTATE
CITROEN ZX

Post by EDMORILLO »

HI chris thankyou for that.
The car is Hydractive, the Y connector was at the front by the height corrector on its low pressure return. When you push down on the front wings its springy easy to push and bounces back up quickly above its normal level then settles at normal level. Haven't tried a road test yet just up and down braking etc seems ok to me but they failed the guy ran it on to a lower ramp type lift several times and it was bouncing.
Paul
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Check the height corrector under the car is free to move and the "dogbone" is still connected.
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Agreed. Fluid needs to be able to return to the reservoir without hindrance from the height correctors, or they can become 'pumped up' and cause the car to rise and go rigid/bouncy. Check that linkage for free movement, and the return pipe for no blockage.

Also check the reservoir for lots of bubbles in the fluid; there shouldn't be any. Air trapped in the fluid can cause problems with both suspension and steering. After removing any parts of the system (eg spheres), the system should be bled at each brake caliper; there is a proper procedure for this.

Don't worry about over-filling the reservoir (on Xantia/XM); even an extra litre of fluid above max will not cause a problem.
Chris
EDMORILLO
VW TIGUAN
ROVER 35OO (2OOO SHAPE)
SAAB 3000S

PREVIOUS CARS
MG MAGNET ZA 1956
AUSTIN CAMBRIDGE
AUSTIN MAXI
FORD CORTINA ESTATE
CITROEN ZX

Post by EDMORILLO »

Hi MikeT
l stripped and cleaned the height corrector using CitroJim's very well photographed tuition.

The dogbone fine too.

The new accumulator sphere seems good, the clicking is normal, lt's a mystery what else to do????

l was wondering if l lowered the height a bit more at the front, its three fingers as usual. l did adjust it after l overhauled the
height corrector it was way out; too high. Also l changed the spheres two years ago and my mileage is really nothing since. my xantia, its just a workhorse car.
l use it to put my bands stuff in for gigs and fetching do it yourself projects etc. maybe max 3000 kms a year!
But l need it and love the car its been a good car.

paul
EDMORILLO
VW TIGUAN
ROVER 35OO (2OOO SHAPE)
SAAB 3000S

PREVIOUS CARS
MG MAGNET ZA 1956
AUSTIN CAMBRIDGE
AUSTIN MAXI
FORD CORTINA ESTATE
CITROEN ZX

Post by EDMORILLO »

Thanks Chris.
Will check that tomorrow. l didn't bleed brakes l thought the citrobics were sufficient. Linkage is ok.
You may be right its something simple l hope!!!
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

The best order to bleed the brakes (which is starting with the calliper furthest from the reservoir and getting closer) is Right Rear, Left Rear, Right Front, Left Front. You HAVE to do it with the engine running (the brakes are POWERED, not power assisted).

Whenever I did any hydraulic work on my Xantiea I would always bleed the brakes afterwards. While the steering and the suspension circulate the fluid back to the reservoir, the brake lines dead end at the brakes, so any air trapped here will remain here.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
EDMORILLO
VW TIGUAN
ROVER 35OO (2OOO SHAPE)
SAAB 3000S

PREVIOUS CARS
MG MAGNET ZA 1956
AUSTIN CAMBRIDGE
AUSTIN MAXI
FORD CORTINA ESTATE
CITROEN ZX

Post by EDMORILLO »

Thanks James l hope its that simple, will have to get the wife to help me. l suppose it all started with the Y connector
breaking? and of course the height corrector stuck too!!

Paul
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

If you are careful you can bleed the brakes by yourself. All you need to do is to wedge the brake pedal down with something. I have done this myself, and it does work.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

EDMORILLO wrote: 31 Jan 2019, 17:15 Hi MikeT
l stripped and cleaned the height corrector using CitroJim's very well photographed tuition.

The dogbone fine too.

The new accumulator sphere seems good, the clicking is normal, lt's a mystery what else to do????

l was wondering if l lowered the height a bit more at the front, its three fingers as usual. l did adjust it after l overhauled the
height corrector it was way out; too high. Also l changed the spheres two years ago and my mileage is really nothing since. my xantia, its just a workhorse car.
l use it to put my bands stuff in for gigs and fetching do it yourself projects etc. maybe max 3000 kms a year!
But l need it and love the car its been a good car.

paul
Ah, I did wonder what parts you said you'd checked and cleaned according to guides on this forum. That's great, HC's are so often overlooked and well worth keeping on top of.
If you've adjusted the height setting without proper measurements then I would hazard a guess there's your problem. From my own experimentation it only takes the smallest of adjustment at the anti-roll bar to have an amplified effect on the suspension response.

Not everyone's fingers are the same thickness, I learnt when measuring spirits :lol:
While the official procedure is long-winded and gets repetitive real fast, if you've got access to a car lift you're in the best position to do it and I'd encourage you get to it asap, I'm sure you won't be disappointed.
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

I think that you need to give us a better description of "bouncy", particularly a description of how the tester was testing it when it failed. These days because there are not many Xantias being tested, there are testers who don't understand them or have forgotten how they are designed to behave.

Can you confirm that leaning on the front of the car with the engine running will cause the front to lower by a few centimetres?
EDMORILLO
VW TIGUAN
ROVER 35OO (2OOO SHAPE)
SAAB 3000S

PREVIOUS CARS
MG MAGNET ZA 1956
AUSTIN CAMBRIDGE
AUSTIN MAXI
FORD CORTINA ESTATE
CITROEN ZX

Post by EDMORILLO »

Hi again
l will try to do the height adjustment first again, as normally you don't need to bleed brakes after changing spheres or working
on the suspension if l am correct? The height can't be much out it looks normal but l will do it

l can confirm that with engine running, leaning on front makes it goes down easily a few centimetres. The guy who tested it just kept driving on and off the front part of his lift which had a slight drop onto its ramps. And it was bouncing. Although as l said it drives ok no bouncing, obvious .Perhaps l need to find a pothole or two to really confirm that?
The low pressure flow from the height controller back to the reservoir seems good when disconnected its dripping constantly.
l still think its something simple.
When l changed all the spheres two years ago l had trouble with the height because l changed the anti roll bar mountings as well.
And had to change the height setting after because l disconnected links to front height corrector. l used the three fingers then and
it passed ok same guy as well. lts a new harder control now in France they are getting tough on old cars, especially diesel ones!!

Paul

xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

I have a strong suspicion that there is nothing wrong with your front suspension and it is not being tested correctly.

The 2 testing centres that I use in France for CTs for my cars both use vibrating plates to test the suspension, I thought that it was mandatory now.
EDMORILLO
VW TIGUAN
ROVER 35OO (2OOO SHAPE)
SAAB 3000S

PREVIOUS CARS
MG MAGNET ZA 1956
AUSTIN CAMBRIDGE
AUSTIN MAXI
FORD CORTINA ESTATE
CITROEN ZX

Post by EDMORILLO »

Yes l agree with you a bit, it seems ok to me to.
Perhaps time to change my CT place?