Dispatch 1.9D - I want to make some space by removing my air box. Smaller air box without worsening noise and mpg?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

kenbw2
(Donor 2017)
My Cars: -
Current:
2000 Citroen Dispatch 1.9TD: daily driver
1997 Peugeot 806 1.9TD: backup vehicle
1996 Citroen Synergie 1.9TD: donor car
1997 Citroen Xantia 2.0 16v: Aussie play thing

Former:
1999 Citroen Dispatch 1.9D DW8: got a new owner
1994 Peugeot 106 1.5D: killed by a deer
1996 Peugeot 106 1.5D: cremated

Dispatch 1.9D - I want to make some space by removing my air box. Smaller air box without worsening noise and mpg?

Post by kenbw2 »

I have a small leisure battery, but would love to get a bigger one. Space is at a premium though. I look at that air filter box and think of how much battery space it takes up.

God knows the DW8 is a boy racer's engine, so I was thinking a cone filter for that extra chavtastic look. But then I discovered that it makes a bit of a chavtastic noise, which isn't really something I want. I also heard they're not good for MPG as they bring in the hot air in the engine bay.

So maybe I could get a small air box that can be supplied with outside air? I wouldn't want to constrict air flow to the engine obviously. No turbo, and no MAF sensor, so its air needs aren't going to be particularly complex.

Is the air box necessarily huge, or is there something I could replace it with, and fit a bigger battery in its place?