Coolant Change Xantia 1.9TD

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

P_C

Coolant Change Xantia 1.9TD

Post by P_C »

Does anyone know an easy way to change the coolant on a Xantia 1.9TD. The bleed screw seems to be above the filler cap for the expansion box. The Hayes manual recommends using an old plastic carton cut up to make a sort of funnel to raise the height above the bleed screw, however I can never get it to fit the top of the expansion box well enough without coolant going everywhere (coolant having such low viscosity, it seems to run past all my efforts to tape up the gaps)
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

Personally I find that an old Robinsons squash bottle fits quite well.
If no luck there, then fill the system with as much coolant as possible and heat the engine up with the radiator cap off. When the coolant starts to expand replace the cap, allow the engine to run for maybe 5 more minutes causing pressure within the system.
Stop the engine and release each of the bleeding caps in turn and the pressure will 'force' the airlocks out. Allow the engine to cool completely and top up.
Sorted quite simply really I've used this method several times and its worked a treat.
Jon

Post by Jon »

Off Topic!
Hey Richard, How's the new M'space?
How did you get on at Broads? I had a bit of a set to with them re my trade in!!
Jon
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

The M'space is great, its got more cubby holes and storage space than my house! My daughter loves the Modutop with its windows, rear air vents, fan and 'aircraft lockers'.
Before I got it I was wondering how you fit roof bars to the Modutop but it works out that you remove the fitted bars with the allen key supplied and turn the bars through 180 degrees and hey presto!
I must say that that it is a lot quieter than I thought it would be, I'm trying to work out at the moment why it appears to be quicker than the wifes Picasso which is meant to be the quicker car.
The stereo sounds a little tinny so I might try some different speakers. I do like the way the interior lights flash on and off when a door isn't shut properly, I wondered what was going on until I read the handbook.
I didn't have any problems at Broads, I let them have the Xantia Estate on the day I did the deal, took my Xantia saloon out of hibernation and actually used it to commute to work (its still sulking having only done 28,000 miles!). The salesman Mark Sackett kept me informed throughout offered me a choice of registrations the car was ready clean tidy and even the tyre pressures were correct.
I have found it quite interesting that the opinions of others are very polarised, either the "where is your wheelchair for the back!" to "I really like it I'm thinking of buying one."
So far then so good.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Getting back to the topic - I find a supermarket milk carton with the bottom cut off fits the tank with just a bit of extra packing