XM hatch power locking actuator

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sonoramicommando
My Cars: 1991 Citroen XM 2.0 carb manual

XM hatch power locking actuator

Post by sonoramicommando »

Hi all,
I have this XM, which has inoperative central locking/power locking hatch - all other doors and petrol filler flap work, except for the hatch, which is quite annoying especially so as the hatch lock seems to have this dreaded spinning fault as well. So I can't lock or unlock (I did pull off hatch trims, which allows me to lock and unlock with a bit of difficulty - still, far from ideal).
Under the hatch trim, I found a couple of parts which seems to be related to power lock - 1) power lock solenoid & 2) a small black rectangle part, which looks like a microswitch, adjacent to the backend of the lock barrel.
The solenoid did not have anything connected to it (electrical connection-wise), it has two connector slots, one for 2 connector pins, the other for 3. It has a mechanical linkage to the external door handle via a rod. Which is very strange - I'm guessing it was working at some stage in the past but puzzling that there are no connectors hooked up or hanging around either.
Does anyone know which contacts are for which? I'm hoping to get some cables through from RH rear door solenoid to actuate the hatch power lock.
Also, what is the black microswitch is for?
Cheers
2006 C6 Exclusive 2.7HDi
1982 GSA Pallas
A couple of bikes
A boyracer car ;)
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Re: XM hatch power locking actuator

Post by white exec »

The XM hatch (boot) has a facilty where locking/unlocking of the hatch can either be performed by the central locking, or not. When not, locking/unlocking is only via the key. The latter option is to allow the boot to remain locked when the doors are not - eg when driving - to prevent theft from the boot in standstill traffic, for example.

Switching between the two options is done by the direction in which the lock is turned before the key is removed. Details are in the owner's handbook. If you haven't got a copy handy, let me know, and I'll post the relevant text here.

On the Club-XM site, you can download Gabor's circuit diagram for the car (see The Circuit Diagram Project) - the latest version was posted just this month.
Chris
sonoramicommando

Thanks.
So I presume the black microswitch detects whether hatch power locking/unlocking is activated or not. Since the hatch lock barrel is non-functioning, I'll just have to set it manually (or just bridge the contact or leave the contacts open, whichever activates the power locking).
The second problem to solve is the missing wires/connectors for the power locking solenoid - I'll have to remove more trims and see they are cut or tucked away somewhere up there.
I'll have a look at the circuit diagram over at the club-XM.
Cheers.
2006 C6 Exclusive 2.7HDi
1982 GSA Pallas
A couple of bikes
A boyracer car ;)
sonoramicommando

Kind of sorted. The microswitch works but the lock barrel lever doesn't turn enough to actually push the switch, so it always works with central locking, which I'm fine with.
And I found the connector to the power locking solenoid, when hooked up it worked! It took me a while to actually figure things out completely though. The remote button needs to be held on until the solenoid fully engage and lock/unlock the hatch. For some reason, doors lock/unlock with a quick press but hatch takes longer, I don't know why.
2006 C6 Exclusive 2.7HDi
1982 GSA Pallas
A couple of bikes
A boyracer car ;)
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Hi Sam,
Hatch locks (the barrel and its mechanism) can get cruddy/sticky/seized simply through lack of use - not often that a key gets inserted into the boot lock. Freed mine up here with a good squirt of WD; that was at least four years ago, and the keyhole hasn't been used since!
Chris