XUD GLOW PLUGS

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

paranoid
My Cars:

XUD GLOW PLUGS

Post by paranoid »

I have just read an interesting snippet obout xud engines..............
When the engine was in the final stages of design/ prototype stage, the manafacturers involved could not decide on how long to keep the glow plug light on when starting up, The general opinion was that the light should be on for at least 5 seconds more when the engine is cold, but they thought people did not want to sit around waiting any longer than nescesarry to start the car.
I tried counting to five after the light went out this morning and guess what it works!!!!! The car starts even better than before due to the inreased heat. TRY IT IT WORKS[:)]
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

Well i should imagine most learned people are doing like me and waiting until they hear the glowplug relay click out!
I dont trust the light, especially since as the car gets older the light seems to go out quicker!
I believe that the light stays on for a period partly determined by how cold the engine bay temperature is!
But then again i have pre and post heat relays AND the glow plug light is actually the one for the 4x4 transmission :(
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

I've just changed the glow plugs on my old ZX TD. Now it starts after the count to 5, first time where as before I was counting to at least 20. All well and working fine. Don't mind the wait as long as it starts and goes I'm happy.
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

I've always gone by the "wait for the click" method - though passengers don't always seem to appreciate it - or ust why I'm doing it.
By the way, I had to start up an XUD yesterday in a car that had stood for about 3 years and had been started up precisely once in that time to move it a BX-length forward (sometime last year).
It started first time, without undue smoke (using the click method).
Russell

Post by Russell »

I have a Citroen XM and was watching the glowpugs through the injector holes today. I timed them from ignition on without start: they took 20 seconds before a relay clicked and they began cooling.
I'm sure that's quite a lot longer than the light inside comes on for.
I also noticed they only took about 5 to 6 seconds to get a decent red hot colour, so presumably even a cold engine is ready to start shortly after that. [:)]
cheers
Russell [:)]
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

Of course we could all have the wrong end of the stick! Maybe the light IS the correct indication, and they stay on longer as a kind of post heat system, as found on the Xantia's!
Im still waitin for the click though, it ALWAYS starts better, if for no other reason that there isnt a current draw through the plugs, reducing power to the starter :D