Sparkplug Removal from V6 no dice?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Paulxmski
My Cars:

Sparkplug Removal from V6 no dice?

Post by Paulxmski »

Hi all,
In my efforts to cure the chug chug vroom vroom problem I removed the distributor plastic cover and leads one by one and rub everything down with damp start which puts a non-conductive coating on them. When it came to the sparkplugs however I am still stumped by the metal tubes in each hole. I pulled at them with my pliers but they will not budge. Is it just a case of brute force?
I did not pull too hard because I didn't want scar them or force them out of shape! They look like they're steel n'est pas?
Although I can hold the leads and not get shocked now the situation is unchanged. I looked at the distributor but it looks absolutely immaculate.
Thanks to all for replying so far. I suspect a sensor failure and although I have a Gunson code reader I am reluctant to even get it out of the box because when I used it on my other V6 it just gave an end of process code - which I assume means no error found. The instructions for its use are a bit hazy to say the least. It describes the green 2 socket plug and shows the probe being placed in the right hand connector but their doesn't seem to be any way of detecting which way up the socket is in the diagram or on the car (I seem to remember that the socket in the car was only similar to the diagram to the extent that it was green and there was no indication of polarity on the one in the car).
The terrifying thought (perhaps unwarranted) of damaging the ECU through creating a reverse current prevented any further exploration. Are there any tips around the forum on this - does anyone know exactly ?
JohnM52

Post by JohnM52 »

Hi
The tubes you refer to are not removeable, I presume you have pulled the plug leads off the top of each plus now just remove the plugs with proper socket. When refitting, they only tighten to 11 ftlb so no swinging on the end of the wrench (indeed a torque wrench is definitely advised until you get the feel of how little the plugs need to be tightened.
The two pin green socket for reading codes.....as I recall there is only one wire into this socket the probe goes into the connection which the wire goes into.
Paulxmski
My Cars:

Post by Paulxmski »

Hi John,
Thanks for the reply unfortunately none of my sockets will go down the hole. I have flexible type, socket set type ,etc but they wont fit. Start to think it might be 10mm not 14mm? Thanks for the tip about the tightening oh dear on my other one I noticed some blow by and was going to give it a good old tightening of course forgot it's ali!!
Upon a time had a honda 600 (motorbike twin engine) and coming back from Wales on M4 doing about eighty on fly-over coming into London sudden almighty bang - roar from underbonnet dive into hard shoulder thought engine blown up (play death march in background) open bonnet no sparkplug on no2 fortunately manage to catch last few threads with spare and off we went. Had to get head helicoiled just put it in my briefcase, and strapped it to back of bicycle to take to engineering shop!
JohnM52

Post by JohnM52 »

10mm it is!! (or at least the standard smaller plug socket)