XM drivetrain vibration.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Steve the grease

XM drivetrain vibration.

Post by Steve the grease »

Hi there, Ive not long resurrected an XM 2.1td estate with 180,000 miles on it, now its developing a nasty vibration. the vibration occurs between about 20 and 40 Mph and I had expected to find an unbalanced tyre or one with a bulge from a broken carcass, (the car has all new tyres but they suffer from impact damage occasionally as I live up a track.) this was not the case , all tyres spin perfectly, swapped the wheels front to rear just in case. When you clog it there is a really nasty vibration, but it goes away if you lift off so I'm guessing its a driveshaft. As they are well over a ton each, I want to make sure I change the correct one. I think its the inner joint on the nearside of the car, and it seems to me that its usually the NS drive shaft that goes first. Any advice ?????
Thanks in a dvance again , and thanks to those who responded to my previous query.
Steve the grease
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Hi Steve -
Does that 2.1TD lump start no problem & runs clean a few seconds after start ?
The engine does not seem slightly dislocated in engine bay ?
Can you in fact feel/see the (stopped & cold) engine move by hard rocking it by hand - especially lower part ?
I'm looking for difference in compression on cylinders - and/or any duff engine mounts.
If you're looking for severe joint/axle problems - you should clearly feel the play - testing by hand on axles.
Any signs of the dreaded XM front strut upper mounting problem - allowing suspension to vibrate undamped ?