Headlamp washers

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Headlamp washers

Post by Stempy »

Another thing on my list of non working bits on the Xantia is the headlamp washers. Must be a common thing as they packed up on the last one too, but I never got around to tracing the cause. I know they work from a timed relay if you wash the screen with the dipped beam on, but I never managed to find out which of the numerous relays it was. Anyone know[?]
Rich
My Cars:

Post by Rich »

Hi Stempy,
I'm having the same problem with my Xantia HDi Exclusive. I found out from an independent garage that the relay was missing and that was the only problem, so they shorted out the contacts on the car with a piece of wire so the washers would work. This i was not happy about so i tried to get the relay from Citroen. They told me they don't list one![xx(][:o)] Anyway, on my Xantia, (you did not say what your exact model was...) the relay is located in the black plastic relay box behind the battery and fits in the five pin socket marked with a number 2. I don't know if it will help, but i did read in the Citroen Car Club magazine a few weeks back about a guy having the same problem and he mentioned a part number for this relay, it is; 655551 and the relay is apparently a big grey one. I'm going to show this information to a Citroen dealer and see if i can obtain this mystery relay!![:D][:D][8D]
Cheers, Rich. Xantia Exclusive HDi.[^][:D]
Stempy
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

I knew someone must have had the same problem as I've had it on two Xantias. I'll check out the relay in question and report back with any findings.
Stempy
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Well, had a look at the relay mentioned, it is in a PINK casing and inside is a small circuit board with an IC and various other components which I would imagine is the timing circuit. Tried jumping the relay manually but still no washers and then I ran out of time so will have to go back to it.
While I was under the bonnet I noticed that one of the cooling fans has fallen off the motor spindle and obviously the screw is missing, would I be right in assuming it is a left hand thread, and what is the likely hood of getting one as a spare part?
Stempy
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Well I got round to checking out the relay which appears to be working fine, giving a timed burst when the headlamps are dip and the windscreen washers used. Looks like either a wiring problem or the pump itself which appears to be a front bumper off job:(