Sticking Caliper

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ZXdanslamaison

Sticking Caliper

Post by ZXdanslamaison »

Hi,
My drivers side front disc is sticking - theres heat from the wheel and fuel consumption has gone up. (ZX 2 litre 8v volcane)
Unfortunately I'm buying my first house at the moment so cash is non-existant! Is it easy enough to take the caliper off and free it up? (I think mine are the girling type, going by Haynes). I have never dealt with brakes before, so I don't really know what to expect.
Really it doesn't bother me that much as it still goes in a straight line and brakes well - its just the heat on the wheel makes me think that this is stressing the tyre and it may blow...
cheers
Al
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

- the heat will constantly overheating the brake disc - and then it may crack - leading to sudden wheel blockage.
Sorry - but I have to say :
There is no excuse to drive a car with brake problems [:0]
- it's such a fatal problem that the car MUST be repaired NOW - or you take the bus/bike - period [:(]
You're not only exposing yourself & family for fatal hazards - but other trafficants as well.
If you survive - it will definately cost your license - and any insurance will pursue you.
ZXdanslamaison

Post by ZXdanslamaison »

Thanks for the warning. But is it worth trying to unseize the caliper myself? I'm guessing its the guide pins
Does anyone know what size spanner I need for the guidepins?
I have access to a large workshop [:D]
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

I've found the piston to be more troublesome than the guide pins (exactly the opposite to a Vauxhall!). Have a look under the boot and work it back and forth with some red brake grease if you can get hold of it. Then again your problem may be different to mine.
By the way - you'll snap the bloody bleed nipple off if you so much as look at it funny so be prepared for many hours of fun. Plenty of plus gas, a bit of local heat and some good 6 sided sockets used very gently will help. Unless you love stupid mechanical challenges - replace the nipple with a new one when it's out and copper grease it up. Otherwise you'll curse yourself next time you have to go there again.
ZXdanslamaison

Post by ZXdanslamaison »

So I actually have to disconnect the caliper from the hydraulic supply ? I was hoping to just take the piston body section off the caliper and then push the piston in to free it up (assuming thats the problem).