BX struts again

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ohms69

BX struts again

Post by ohms69 »

Just in the middle of taking the front struts off the grey one, but it would appear I don't have a crrectly sized deep set socket for the nut that claps the strut to the hub.
Any ideas what size this is? I've a feeling it's 16mm but would like this confirmed before I go and buy a new socket.
thanks chaps[:)]
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Yep, sixteen. Did you have any joy with the knocking noise?
ohms69

Post by ohms69 »

Yes Tom, I sorted it by pulling a rag under the sphere. It's not by any means a long term fix, but atleast it's stopped the knocking.
I'm replacing the leaky struts on the grey one at the moment, as well as replacing the caliper.
Those 19mm caliper securing bolts are very tight. I'm just about to take a trip to out local tool merchants to buy a snap bar...give it some leverage!
Bit off topic, but does anybody have a spare(non-leaky) caliper they'd be preapred to sell?
Failing that, a trip to the scrappy's is in order![:D]
ActivaV6uk
My Cars: C5 X7 2.7 hdi

Past cars
Activa, silver MK1 (221bhp stock) stripped out with twin sparcos Evo seats. 95
Activa, light met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met blue MK1 (202bhp stock) 96
Xantia exclusive V6 auto 3l 98
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi dark met silver
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX GTi 16v white fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v black fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v hurricane (doa)
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

i should have a few BX calipers probably even 16v ones...
Andy
ohms69

Post by ohms69 »

Whereabout are you andy?
Are the 16 valve calipers the same as the TZD's?[:D]
ohms69

Post by ohms69 »

Just been to the local breakers to try and source a replacement strut...And guess what? Just one 16 valve with blatantly leaky struts[:(]
Do I bite the bullet and buy new struts, or hold out for some good second hand? I suppose really If I decide to buy new then I should replace both sides...What do you think?[:)]
One more thing... The 16 valve in the breakers(less calipers) still has it's clocks. Will these work in my TZD? I erally like the idea of a temp gauge.[;)]
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Of course the clocks won't work as they only fit GTIs (No, I'd never get away with it...) Oh all right then...
Yes, the clocks will work. For that reason do not divulge the location of the yard to any diesel owner who should innocently enquire unless you are prepared to kill them. Instructions on BX Diy site in links
As for the struts, you can rebuild them yourself with a seal kit (£7 ish, Citroen and a new slide bearing c.£27, same source.)You do not need the strut kit which is a further 27 quid as the other innards will be ok. You'll need a big pair of stilsons a vice and a blowlamp. I've done them. they are a fair bit of work but it is cheap enough. Look back to my postings on the subject between um, June and October last year. It is all there.
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

Struts should be reconditioned before putting back on - this should sort out the leaks as they're from the internal seals. Someone who's been through this process can advise. If you're buying scrap struts make it absolutely plain to the seller that you consider them to be only fit for reconditioning, and will only pay accordingly.
Do go for the temp gauge if at all possible for peace of mind - or alternatively as something else to fret about.....
The temp gauge will work + swap in IF both models have the modular
Veglia dash and not a unitary Jaeger one as found in some earkly GTis and 16vs (guess who's been caught out before), but I'd advise:
(1) Read up on the process on Gabor's DIY site
(2) Make sure you get the matching temp sender too from the 16v (underneath the distributor?) - you'll have a much better chance of an accurate reading that way as Anders wisely advises: my personal experience bears his advice out.
Most other bits are fairly useless except as backup, notably the tacho which works on a different principle from a diesel one. The oil temperature gauge will only work if you substitute a 16v/GTi sump pan and its oil temperature sensor - rather too much work to justify it....
ohms69

Post by ohms69 »

Thanks again Tom.[;)]
I was amzed how easily the struts came off. The passenger side driveshaft slid out slightly and leaked a hell of a lot of oil all over the drive[:(]
I pushed it back into place and it would appear that the leak has stopped. Is it likely I've done some damge to the seal, or is this type of drama commonplace? (you can tell I'm a newbie to all of this[8)])
Back to the clocks... Will the temp gauge work straight away or am I looking at yet more jiggery pokery![:D]
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

No, read the supplied link. Print off the whole site !
The rustproofing of the drive is normal like the blown gearbox if you don't top it up again...
ohms69

Post by ohms69 »

Sorry for being a dumb ass, but which link?
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

OHMS 69 I have good struts and calipers for either side if you need them
Stewart
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

The link to Gabor's BX DIY site :
http://www.tramontana.co.hu/citroen/
- a MUST have (and stored) link to any BX owner [8D]
ohms69

Post by ohms69 »

Stewart, whereabout are you? And how much do you want for the caliper? I'm going to buy new struts from Andyspares I think. I simply don't have the necessary tools to rebuild the existing ones. And If they'll last another 125,00 miles it'll be money well spent.
ohms69

Post by ohms69 »

When I remove the big 36mm nut from the top of the sphere mount will the struts come free?
If this is the case I think I should have left thesphere mount attached at the inner wing, undone the bignut with the strut in place and withdrawn it from the arch that way. I think it's going to be a pig to undo the nut without a vice to clamp the strut.[:)]