C4GP EGS Gearbox removal (video)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Chefslot
My Cars: Grand Picasso C4

Re: C4GP EGS Gearbox removal (video)

Post by Chefslot »

Marc, could you give me the code/part number for the bolt #70. Nothing is showing up from what catcar gives. http://www.catcar.info/citroen/?lang=en ... aWVyPT0%3D
Also nut #3, it's not just a flange nut, but grade 10 with a nylock insert, impossible to find. Again catcar part number does show a few items but nothing on fleabay.
http://www.catcar.info/citroen/?lang=en ... aWVyPT0%3D

Wish you all a merry Christmas or festive times, or just times off ^^
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, no problem.

No 70 is part number: 350957 (Screw with Base), dimensions: 12X175-85 - £3.49 inc. VAT
No 3 is part number: 4010F7 (Hexagonal Nut), dimensions 12X150 - £2.87 inc. VAT

These are prices from Citroen.

Have a great holiday.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Chefslot

Post by Chefslot »

They are the right part number then!! Cheers
Delvey
My Cars: 1.6 HDI Grand Picasso

Post by Delvey »

How did you get on? fitted and working?
Chefslot

Post by Chefslot »

Delvey wrote: 16 Jan 2019, 11:49 How did you get on? fitted and working?

Funny you should mention it yes, just plugged in the diagbox today. The only thing i need to do is is follow a few last commands on the gearbox grid part of reprogramming the box. I need to wait until it's dark or next do has gone out as the car is slightly not mot'd atm. I need to do a service on it, and then get it in.
Only thing is in part of the gearbox reprog it says to go out for this drive and do a few fast starts then stops etc but i do take that is while the software is running, as you will have the alternator giving a 14v supply which is what the program wants to run. So i think i'm going to have to get my buckboost converter to power the laptop, or look into a new battery for it .So just need to see if the 12v supply will handle about 5-6 amps [-o<
Belfrage
My Cars: Citroen GPC4 2.0 hdi 2008

Post by Belfrage »

I have a question about this job as Im about to replace my clutch and flywheel on my GPC4 2.0 hdi. Do you have to depressuraise before removal of the gearbox? Ive got diagbox but having trouble to install it. What happens if I dont depressureaise before? Any other parts that should be replaced as the gearbox is taken out. Many Thanks for a good thread.
BR
Peter
Chefslot

Post by Chefslot »

There should be an option to depressure on the diagbox, mine was all ready done as it lost all the hydraulic oil. I guess if it is in neutral and no clutch is applied then it should come off, but your going to want to reset the clutch through the system anyway after you have done it. My only concern would be if you dropped the box with all that pressure inside could do some really nasty damage, funnily enough there is a pressure vessel under the box which looks like a nade, so I certainly wouldn't even entertain the idea of it. Pressure is evil!!
I would also replace the bearing, £90, peace of mind. You may need bolts for the sub frame, be able to source a welder if the chassis nut spins, new lower joints as I wrecked mine, use a ball joint splitter like I did, stupid ball joint protectors and a lot of force getting the ball joints back in. If you do spill some oil from the hydraulics £20 from eBay, fiat one is the same. My clutch came with alignment tool, maybe clutch replacement tool, I made mine I will try to get some videos up!!
Chefslot

Post by Chefslot »

This is another thread that might be a little help to you Peter. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=61093&start=30
Belfrage

Post by Belfrage »

Alright, Yeah I know I will need to run diagbox after the reinstall but then I might not worry so much about depressure When I take the gearbox out then. Any Idea of the wieght of the box? Of course, the bearing should be replaced. I managed to get the joints out with no damage using a crowbar. Took the axle, hub and disc out in one piece. The hydraulik container is full of oil and I have not had any leaks so I Hope I wont need to mess with that. Ive also seen videos where people mount clutch without the special tool, I think I’ll try it as the tool i so expensive.
Chefslot

Post by Chefslot »

Belfrage wrote: 14 Feb 2019, 21:52 Alright, Yeah I know I will need to run diagbox after the reinstall but then I might not worry so much about depressure When I take the gearbox out then. Any Idea of the wieght of the box? Of course, the bearing should be replaced. I managed to get the joints out with no damage using a crowbar. Took the axle, hub and disc out in one piece. The hydraulik container is full of oil and I have not had any leaks so I Hope I wont need to mess with that. Ive also seen videos where people mount clutch without the special tool, I think I’ll try it as the tool i so expensive.

Ok i will say again,,, i really wouldn't recommend removal without depressurising the system. I'm waiting for Marc to get back to me in regards to the second video, but i also made a tool for the clutch out of some metal i had laying around. I'll try and get that posted up for tomorrow night and link it in for you.
Ok i'm jealous you go them out with a crowbar, so now i'm not going to help you no more hahaha only joking, the box is move-able buy one person when out, but heavy and awkward when lowering, and that one fell of the jack whilst trying to pull it out. I figured it might and all ready had a nice foam padding cushion for it. Trying to put it in was a two man job also! I used my modified clutch tool as a kind of gearbox cradle but didnt really work. It took two jacks in the end! As for weight i will say about a sack of spuds.
Also on mine i had to remove the lower subframe, this was where the captive nut became uncaptive!!
I took a long time doing this one, like a few months from start to finish, but had my daughter, awaiting parts, taking my time etc. Someone said you could do it in a weekend, of course it is do-able if you have done before, parts ordered tools all ready etc, mine was done outside on a uneven drive way which didn't help.
Regards
Belfrage

Post by Belfrage »

Oh ok, didnt really get you at first but Thanks for the advice! 😊 im so glad Im not alone in this world with this job 😂 I left the installation cd for diagbox at my fathers house as I dont have a laptop with 32-bits Windows, Hopefully he will manage to install it correct.
I wasnt totally honest about the crowbar as I also used a meter and a half extentionpipe and put all my weight over it as i hammered around the joint.
Luckily I have my garage with concrete floor and a lift. For the subframe i only have these two torx screws on either side that you say can be trouble (god I Hope not) and one nut under the steering rack still holding it up. Is the captive nut welded inside the frame?
Our GP broke down (at home luckily), in the middle of october.. funny thing is that we got our daughter october 31th 😂 Its been 4 months now in a rusty Skoda Felicia, tough with 2 kids and a dog but we all fit.
Im interessted in the meassuements of the tool you have built so yes I would appreciate anything you post 😊
Im about to build a wodden frame out of 2x2” inch studs and put it on wheels as i have some spare wheels used for furniture.
Chefslot

Post by Chefslot »

Belfrage wrote: 15 Feb 2019, 08:29 Oh ok, didnt really get you at first but Thanks for the advice! 😊 im so glad Im not alone in this world with this job 😂 I left the installation cd for diagbox at my fathers house as I dont have a laptop with 32-bits Windows, Hopefully he will manage to install it correct.
I wasnt totally honest about the crowbar as I also used a meter and a half extentionpipe and put all my weight over it as i hammered around the joint.
Luckily I have my garage with concrete floor and a lift. For the subframe i only have these two torx screws on either side that you say can be trouble (god I Hope not) and one nut under the steering rack still holding it up. Is the captive nut welded inside the frame?
Our GP broke down (at home luckily), in the middle of october.. funny thing is that we got our daughter october 31th 😂 Its been 4 months now in a rusty Skoda Felicia, tough with 2 kids and a dog but we all fit.
Im interessted in the meassuements of the tool you have built so yes I would appreciate anything you post 😊
Im about to build a wodden frame out of 2x2” inch studs and put it on wheels as i have some spare wheels used for furniture.

Just uploaded in the first post all 3 videos of in and out, check them out, number one is the same but chopped out a few bits and added a thank you to the forum ^^

Hey that frame sounds cool and a lot softer on the box!!

Not to sure what your dad is like with computers but there is a few steps/stages that you have to be clear and take your time doing. I brought a windows 7 32 oem thing from ebay, you could dual boot it along any other os of windows linux etc. Also i payed about £100 for my lexus diagbox as was guaranteed to be the full chip, and works flawlessly, viewtopic.php?f=13&t=60113
https://www.easydiagnostics.co.uk/produ ... en-peugeot

I'll try and get the video of the tool up tomorrow or monday night of me making it, but check out pt2!!

The nut is possible spot welded from the factory, i used a rubbish flux core until i then switched back to my trusty old buzz box. It was said in one of the other threads that this might happen and it sure did, but it's easy to get to even with a fresh long electrode. Once out reinsert the bolt and tidy up your weld making sure you dont weld the bolt to the nut or get any splatter in the nut. It's not to hard, a little water spray bottle on hand as it will catch fire with all the heat, obviously don't panic and remove the electrode out of harms way!!

ha ha i couldnt find anything else that would extend that far, keep meaning to go for a hunt for some scaffold!!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Thanks for posting these Chef. - ! 8-) You did all the work and boy, what a job - I don't envy you - but really pleased it's all back up and running.

Very nice of you to mention the FCF too in your video, thanks very much - appreciated. I'm sure these videos will help others consider tackling the job who may find the prospect a bit daunting. I'm going to copy the main videos into the 'How To' section of the Forum and link back to this thread for those that want to comment further. :wink:

Focussed thread can be found here:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=61940&p=600998#p600998

Marc
Belfrage

Post by Belfrage »

Chefslot wrote: 16 Feb 2019, 23:44 Just uploaded in the first post all 3 videos of in and out, check them out, number one is the same but chopped out a few bits and added a thank you to the forum ^^

Hey that frame sounds cool and a lot softer on the box!!

Not to sure what your dad is like with computers but there is a few steps/stages that you have to be clear and take your time doing. I brought a windows 7 32 oem thing from ebay, you could dual boot it along any other os of windows linux etc. Also i payed about £100 for my lexus diagbox as was guaranteed to be the full chip, and works flawlessly, viewtopic.php?f=13&t=60113
https://www.easydiagnostics.co.uk/produ ... en-peugeot

I'll try and get the video of the tool up tomorrow or monday night of me making it, but check out pt2!!

The nut is possible spot welded from the factory, i used a rubbish flux core until i then switched back to my trusty old buzz box. It was said in one of the other threads that this might happen and it sure did, but it's easy to get to even with a fresh long electrode. Once out reinsert the bolt and tidy up your weld making sure you dont weld the bolt to the nut or get any splatter in the nut. It's not to hard, a little water spray bottle on hand as it will catch fire with all the heat, obviously don't panic and remove the electrode out of harms way!!

ha ha i couldnt find anything else that would extend that far, keep meaning to go for a hunt for some scaffold!!

Thanks for the videos Chef!

At the moment im sitting here with an old DELL laptop with 32-bit Windows 10. The install of diagbox worked as it should but When i installed the firat update 7.01 > 7.57 i got problems and the shortcut on the desktop for diagbox stopped working. Now im uninstalling to try again. Why cant this stuff just work, I might have to leave my computer to an expert.

I also paid around 100 £ for this package with all cables and two installation cds.

Fingers crossed 🙏
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Post these issues on the diagnostics section. You should find all you need there. Uninstalling it and reinstalling it won’t work without first completely removing all the registry entries and left over install files.

If you need help post any queries there and I’ll try and answer your questions.

Marc