Xantia Accumulator and regulator diag.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Johnno
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: C5 2.2 VTR + Nav 173
Mazda 6 2.2 Sports Nav Estate
Jaguar 3.8 MkII 1961
Ex 2007 C5 2.2 Estate
Ex 2003 C5 2.2 Estate
Ex Xantia 2.1 TD Exclusive
Ex BX 1.7 DTR
Ex BX 1.9 TRS

Xantia Accumulator and regulator diag.

Post by Johnno »

My Xantia is doing the usual thing with the hyper-active regulator valve and I suspect that it is time to change the accumulator sphere. Reading the informative stuff already on this forum certainly points me in that direction. However, on my car the valve operation isn't so much a click as a dull metallic "clonk" at idle, becoming more of a metallic buzz as the revs rise - and it is a trifle annoying! Is this indicative of the sphere only or some other malady?
Also, this car has the Hydractive suspension - how do you tell when the additional spheres need replacing? And are these additional spheres used on all Xantias as part of the anti-sink system?
PeterMann
My Cars:

Post by PeterMann »

The alternative to a flat accumulator is an internal leak (ie the leakage goes back to the reservior, rather than onto the pavement, typically due to a jammed valve), but the probability is strongly that the accumulator is flat.
In Australia, a number of enterprising individuals will regas spheres at very affordable prices in their backyard workshop, and we have a strong tradition of taking this option.
During 20 years of Citroening, I have only once had a membrane failure in a sphere (which means it is really dead).
If regassing the accumulator reveals that the membrane is intact and that it is indeed well below specification, then the time has come to regas all spheres.
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

Johnno
The click is actually produced by a ball valve in the regulator - if this is not seating properly, it could cause the lack of a sharp click, and the pump cycling. Very easy to fix
Johnno
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: C5 2.2 VTR + Nav 173
Mazda 6 2.2 Sports Nav Estate
Jaguar 3.8 MkII 1961
Ex 2007 C5 2.2 Estate
Ex 2003 C5 2.2 Estate
Ex Xantia 2.1 TD Exclusive
Ex BX 1.7 DTR
Ex BX 1.9 TRS

Post by Johnno »

Thanks, guys. I'll get a replacement accumulator and then track down the other myriad little faults (not least the odd-feeling brakes - so different from the BX). And I've just had a thought that many people have possibly looked at this post thinking that there was a diagram of the accumulator and regulator! Could be a requirement? Diag. stood for diagnosis[:)]
Cheers