XM engine swap

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Russell

XM engine swap

Post by Russell »

Hi Folks,
My 2.1 TD XM engine is playing up, (injector probems, may be head etc)but the rest of the car is in good nick.
q1. Can I upgrade to a 2.5 TD engine and what would the change involve?
q2. Does the 2.5 TD sometimes come with a manual gearbox, and if so, can this be made to fit?
q3. So, anyone done this, ecstatic-depressed, any lessons to note etc..?
cheers
Russell [:)]
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

The 2.5 TD ONLY comes with a manual box. It's torque would rip the guts out of any autoboxes that PSA have.
//NiSk
Doc
My Cars:

Post by Doc »

Hi Russell
Be prepared for a few days work if you go ahead with the swap. The 2.5 is quite a different beast compared with the 2.1 PSA unit. You will need access to a substantial engine crane/hoist as the engine and gearbox are removed through the front as a complete unit. Make sure you fit a new clutch as it's an engine out job to replace one of these on this engine. I believe the intercooler is a liquid to air type as opposed to the 2.1's air to air, so you will need basically everything off the donor car such as the rad, intercooler, aircon system, all plumbing and associated fixtures as there really isn't anything in common with the 2.1 turbo diesel. In the mean time have you had the head/cooling system pressure tested? The injectors can wear at the 80,000 mile mark so if your's has done more than this the injectors may need reconditioning. It will be a lot less hassle than the engine swap and should transform the way your car runs.
Hope this helps and good luck
crooser

Post by crooser »

russell,the extra wiring looms,ecu's and associated sensors etc would make this proposed change an absolute nightmare.the plumbing alone would tax the brain of an einstein
Jon

Post by Jon »

Plus of course the famous cooling system with the twin radiators![}:)]
noz
My Cars:

Post by noz »

Russell,
To what extent is it playing up? Is it not recoverable?
The swap would be possible but for the reason's stated it wouldn't be for the faint hearted. I would suggest studying the XM manual engine and fuel injection sections. At least they'd act as a check list for all the bits that would have to be taken with the engine to make it work.
Finding a donor may not be an easy task. I've tried my hardest to find scrappers for bits for mine. I've only ever found two.
By all means have a go. You know where you can come for help if it all gets too much ;-)
Cheers
norrie
Russell

Post by Russell »

Thanks for the info,
So the engine swap is not for the faint hearted, but do-able, but most if not all of the ancillary systems might need to come across as well. Sounds like my cheapest option is fix the 2.1TD and flog it, and replace with a decent 2.5 TD, unless fixing the injectors (if that's all thats wrong) also happens to transform the performance. [:D]
Is it a generall held opinion that the 2.5TD is a much better car than the 2.1TD [?] I like the sound of autobox ripping torque...
I'll keep you posted how I get on.
Cheers
Russell [:)]
crooser

Post by crooser »

the torque and acceleration of a 2.5 xm surprises everyone.try one.