C5 2008 (X7 ?) Turbo Fault

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Re: C5 2008 (X7 ?) Turbo Fault

Post by MikeT »

Thanks Marc.
Colin, given the latest problem which followed you replacing the turbo intake sleeve (making it air tight) it's worth checking the air filter's not clogged.
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Marc firstly the match has not yet been lit but it is still an option :rofl2: , secondly thank you for posting all that information on the fault code =D>

Looking at the list of customer complaints i can confirm the top 2, but the car has never produced excess smoke apart from white smoke once when it did its kangaroo impression 2 weeks ago.
I can also confirm that up until yesterday the speed limiter would work but somedays only for 5 miles or so, sometimes 30 miles and then when coming of the dual carriage way and pulling away it would disappear showing just 3 lines, same thing would happen if paused and you went above set limit.
Yesterday i had the speed limiter working when it chucked its toys out of the pram, took a couple of minutes before i realised the limiter was on but was still doing its kangaroo impression before i paused it and yes i was hitting the set speed limit.
I can def check the air flow meter, air flow to the air filter for obstructions and the air filter by removing the pipe work , that is easy, even i can do that.
The airlock bit i assume is between the Turbo and the sensor ?
Turbocharger position sensor is part number 2 in the diagrams below.
The vacuum issue can be tested as per your diagrams and instructions, which may or may not eliminate the sensor and i maybe borrow the test equipment, have a laptop arriving Friday so i can try and get my lexia/Diagbox up and running.
Variable geometry of the turbocharger jammed in the "minimum turbo" position, would that be the actuator arm described in previous post ?
Faulty Turbocharger = light the match =D>
I will also look at changing the fuel filter as it has that feeling of a blocked fuel filter but cash now needs to be targeted :oops:

There is no rush the car is staying where it is for the time being, i just need to get a cheap runaround to get me to work and back by next Monday, have my eyes on a few local sheds.
Once again a real big thank you to all of you from SWMBO and me :-D
admiral51
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Harlequin wrote: 13 Nov 2018, 19:07 https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-recall

can also check if a car has been scheduled to be recalled

Thanks just checked no recall outstanding on that site but will give my local Citroen Stealers a call tomorrow with the Vin number to double check
admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

I am not giving up yet, but i may just put this thread on hold for the time being, i will work through the list and post updates as i try my best to get this C5 back to health, but with only weekends to tinker i have decided to SORN this one and fingers crossed i will get to the bottom of the problem. I think the car is worth £1200 if running correctly so spending a few quid will be worth it but only in stages as and when i can.
Have been looking at a local French shed as a run around so will probably be posting on the forum for advice as and when it goes wrong if i can get it for the right price =P~

Not a word Mr T =D>
admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

Have a new daily runaround,still chevrons on the front and a step back in time for me and it has spheres, not good ones but still has them :)

I have maybe 3 weeks to come to a decision on the C5, spend money on it or send it for scrap.
I am going to order a replacement actuator valve, it will not be an OEM part, think it costs £30 from a UK seller ( Chinese Import ) but having time to think what has been going on i think it maybe worth a punt.
Before i replaced the sleeve insert oil had been leaking form the air feed to the turbo,since it has been replaced albeit for a few days no oil had been leaking.
To my shame how long that sleeve insert had been leaking i honestly do not know,what i do know is that the oil had been leaking above the actuator and dripping down the actuator arm which i believe means it has been dripping onto the diaphram ?
My main issue in replacing the actuator is that it has a locking nut on it to determine the return length of travel of the arm so hence its starting point.
Thinking logically as it is a manually adjusted travel length is there any danger in miss adjustment allowing the turbo vains (sp?) being able to foul ?
Have already checked the air filter, a little dirty but nothing that would suggest it is blocked to allow the severe restriction of air flow that would result in the symptoms i have.
My thoughts keep going back to how long the fault had been present without throwing up a service light and the fact that it had that flat spot, foot down felt like no turbo, lift off for a split second and it gave full beans, cannot remember the exact mileage from the Diagbox session but as it over writes the old data it could have been over 3-4 years, 20+k miles .
I will change the fuel filter, but again this has been changed within the period when the symptoms were logged by Diagbox.

All comments greatly appreciated will take everything on board.

I know the car is not worth much but being a C5 X7 on 100k+ miles it has never had its steering rack changed :)

Thanks Colin
admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

Okay so i now have my replacement turbo actuator and i have some questions, like i always do :)
I am not very tech/mechanically savvy so here goes, you are all going to have fun with this one
As i understand it the actuator can be tweaked to under/over boost the turbo depending on its settings, but having looked at the replacement part i am totally confused.
As i see it the height of the bracket that holds the actuator is determined by the holes for it, and the actuator arm fixes on to a set position set by the location of the turbo actuator connecting rod held in place by a cir clip.
So looking at my replacement it has a stop nut and the arm itself contains a thread that means i can adjust both nut and how far i screw the arm in or out.
If screw the arm itself out it will not line up with the turbo rod, if i turn it down it will also not line up ?
Oh bugger just realised what i think i am missing,apart from a brain :(
The actuator itself can adjust the starting position of the turbo depending on how it is set up, it can be part open/closed depending how far the arm is shortened/extented, the travel will be the same #-o

Please help me out i am close to being an OAP lol
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

I don't think you can adjust the boost settings mechanically, as the ECU recalibrates the system so that it gets the amount of boost that it is expecting, and throws a fault if it can't do that.
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

With the vacuum hose removed, it's just two 10mm nuts and a circlip, Colin.

Testing faulty vs good actuator

This one demonstrates calibrating the arm setting

And some light reading regarding the solenoid valve at the rear of the engine

http://www.pierburg-service.de/ximages/ ... en_web.pdf
http://www.pierburg-service.de/ximages/ ... en_web.pdf
https://az25411.vo.msecnd.net/pdf/5/pg_ ... en_web.pdf
admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

Cheers Mike, gonna open a cold can and view :)
admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

Thanks Mike have watched them and it now all makes sense, all i need to do is understand the 15-18 mercury thing, and where to scrounge a vacuum meter :)
admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

sorry xantia v6 i missed your post, too eager and jumped to last new post. :(
This is such a big learning curve for me, and from what i believe i have learnt so far yes i can mechanically adjust it but if it is out of ECU values it will throw a fault up and if i my actuator is not holding vacuum it will appear to the ECU as not within values and then record a fault as the ECU cannot get it to do what it wants ???
admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

admiral51 wrote: 28 Nov 2018, 21:43 Thanks Mike have watched them and it now all makes sense, all i need to do is understand the 15-18 mercury thing, and where to scrounge a vacuum meter :)

Okay so i had a brain freeze moment, was a long time ago i was at school, figured it out now, it is just a different way to describe PSI/BAR etc #-o
Going to have a look at it over the weekend, anyone up for a bet that i break something else along the way :rofl2:
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

I got el-cheapo vacuum pump with gauge if it's any use to you, Colin? Could maybe rendezous somewhere as you're travelling to/from work?
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

admiral51 wrote: 28 Nov 2018, 21:49 sorry xantia v6 i missed your post, too eager and jumped to last new post. :(
This is such a big learning curve for me, and from what i believe i have learnt so far yes i can mechanically adjust it but if it is out of ECU values it will throw a fault up and if i my actuator is not holding vacuum it will appear to the ECU as not within values and then record a fault as the ECU cannot get it to do what it wants ???

I was just trying to make the point that the mechanical adjustment can't override the boost level that the ECU decides. A faulty actuator will of course upset everything, as will a vacuum leak .
admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

Cheers xantia_v6 that makes complete sense :)

Mike think i have managed to scrounge one but i will keep you in mind :)

Just need to get the correct vacuum needed to set it at lol