Clutch Master and Slave unit replacement

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Xantiavsx
My Cars: Citroen Xantia 2.1 td vsx 1997

Clutch Master and Slave unit replacement

Post by Xantiavsx »

Howdy doody y'all, I hope somebody can help me here. I have read some old posts re replacing my Xantia parts with Peugeot 406 parts that can still be got. At the moment my clutch pedal has no pressure. I have removed the Slave and am now having great difficulty getting purchase on the Master to turn it 90 degrees clockwise to remove it from bulkhead. I note that a citroen tool can be used and could do with some advice with fashioning something similar.
Citroenxm has previously posted helpful info re compatible Peugeot parts and mentioned maybe having an old sealed unit in his shed. IS that still available and will it fit my Xantia? Other wise, any parts avail either separate or conjoined, compatible Master cyls and slave cyls, that I can join together to make my clutch work would be great to find 8-[
Any assistance greatfully received [-o<
xantiagreen
My Cars:

Re: Clutch Master and Slave unit replacement

Post by xantiagreen »

Hi, before the loss of pressure did you notice brake fluid leaking down the pedal. Is the system the same setup as the 110 hdi.
Faz

90 Ax 1.0 Red
90 Bx 1.7 TZD Green
92 Bx Gti BRG
90 Bx 16v Cream
96 Xantia 2lt 16v Sx Olive green
01 Xantia 110 Hdi
Storm Grey (SOLD 4/11/18)

Temporarily driving Polo 1.9sdi

All I want is a Bx Gti or 16v!
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

The 2.1 TD used the same clutch and hydraulics as the HDI 110, the 2.0 TCT and the V6 (with manual transmission).

If the pedal is going t the floor, but with no sign of a fluid leak anywhere, I would have strong suspicions of a failed release bearing, or something else inside the bell-housing.
xantiagreen
My Cars:

Post by xantiagreen »

xantia_v6 wrote: 20 Oct 2018, 04:32 The 2.1 TD used the same clutch and hydraulics as the HDI 110, the 2.0 TCT and the V6 (with manual transmission).

If the pedal is going t the floor, but with no sign of a fluid leak anywhere, I would have strong suspicions of a failed release bearing, or something else inside the bell-housing.

I had the initial leakage on the brake pedal small amounts, mechanic advised to syringe in brake fluid into the small pot, got around 30ml in i think and within a few days no more leak, the new fluid must have rejuvenated the seals.
Faz

90 Ax 1.0 Red
90 Bx 1.7 TZD Green
92 Bx Gti BRG
90 Bx 16v Cream
96 Xantia 2lt 16v Sx Olive green
01 Xantia 110 Hdi
Storm Grey (SOLD 4/11/18)

Temporarily driving Polo 1.9sdi

All I want is a Bx Gti or 16v!
Xantiavsx

Post by Xantiavsx »

Hi, thanks to you both for prompt response and assistance. No, there was no sign of leakage but this issue has occurred previously so I did not consider failed release bearing. It seemed to happen progressively over time and not suddenly such as a failed release bearing might possibly indicate. I can't rule that out at this stage as I have concentrated on simply getting pressure back into the pedal, which I managed to achieve previously by gently pumping the pedal and turning the shaft/rod into the Master cylinder by hand, which restored pressure for quite a few weeks of daily driving until the pressure slowly dropped again during a long drive. I also have tried the fluid into the pot method which has not worked on this occassion.
I have now removed both master and slave connecting pipes by drifting out the short collet/pin and have been busy pumping fluid back through at both ends. However even with both cylinders full and with no air or fluid leaks can I get the Pedal to resist, instead it simply pushes straight through, which is why I think it is the seal in the Master that has gone. My other difficulty has been removing the Master from the bulkhead as I do not have the quick release tool the manual suggests or any idea of the spec /dimensions of such. The Master Cylinder should be removable by a 90 degree turn clockwise but refuses to budge.
Thank you both for the info as to replacement with Hdi , 2.0 TCT and v6, tho as I would like to at least attempt to eliminate Hydraulics before getting into New Clutch territory. Does anybody have any suggestion re removing the Master and or testing for failed bearing etc?
PS: Just seen some FTE PARTS ONLINE (carparts4less) as replacements for the 2.1 td 1997 X2 AS INDIVIDUAL NON SEALED SEPARATE UNITS. Am i right in thinking that these will fit if I modify the connectors and pipe work?
Xantiavsx

Post by Xantiavsx »

Hi Iam wondering as to how you managed to proceed with this issue as I have the identical issue