ZX rattle front left

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tony1

ZX rattle front left

Post by tony1 »

My 1991 ZX 1.9I has a rattle rather than a clonking noise coming from the front left of the car,it is most noticeable when you take your foot off the accelerator and the car is deaccelerating, this is on a straight smooth road. I assume it is one of the suspension bushes, any sugestions as to which ones they might be. I did have a quick look under the car & noticed that the outer CV gaiter is split & needs replacing, but my symptoms aren't those for a worn CV?.
cheers
Brian Oblivion
My Cars:

Post by Brian Oblivion »

Possibly engine mounting, cracked, loose, missing?
Paulee
My Cars:

Post by Paulee »

Does it make the noise when coasting (out of gear at low speeds)around 10 - 20 mph ?
tony1

Post by tony1 »

It does not make the noise at low speed when out of gear, It happens most consistantly when going down hill using gentle engine breaking. I'm going to replace the CV boot in the next few days, so I'll have a good look around at the various mounting and should be able to track it down. I'll let you know the out come.
tony1

Post by tony1 »

After much seaching I found the source of the rattle, it was at the opposite corner of the car! Strange how sound travels through the structure of the car.
The right hand side hand brake cable had broken away from the bracket on the swinging arm & was some times touching the inside of the wheel which was pulling it down & making it thump back on to the underside of the car.