C5 X7 suspension acting strange

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

entelstz
My Cars: C5 X7 2.0 163

C5 X7 suspension acting strange

Post by entelstz »

Hi forum, and greetings from Bulgaria.
I recently bought a citroen c5 from 2010. I am fairly new to the behaviout of the car but believe there must be something wrong with the suspension. It seems quite stiff and uncomfortable, nothing in comparison to other c5 that i have rode in. The other thing that bothers me is the rear suspension acting strangely. When the car is parked and the engine is off there is this constant raising and lowering of the rear. Almost as if the car cannot find its right level. By the sound of the pump i can say that this happens also when driving. I have checked the height sensor and it is spotless, moving from the slightest touch... Tried to refill some LDS (almost a litre in) following the procedure with lowering the back first. Unfortunately that did not seem to help. For reference, i have checked and it soesnt seem to have any leaks from the auspension. Any ideas?
Simple76
My Cars: Citroen Bx

Re: C5 X7 suspension acting strange

Post by Simple76 »

Have the spheres checked .
EDC5
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Citroen C5 RHR AM6

Post by EDC5 »

The harshness in the ride may be because the front is riding too high. When I measured the ride height on mine I found it was 5cm too high!

I used Lexia to lower it as much as possible in software but I think I'll need to change the height correctors at fine point.
Sloppysod
Donor 2024
My Cars: Citroens
1 x GS, 1 x GSX (Banger raced), 1 x GSA,
2 x CX Famililles, 1 x CX GTI,
BX, XM, Xantia, C5 Mk1,
C4 (Coupe), C4 (B7),
C5 (X7)

Renault
R4 Van
Fuego
Clio Campas

Post by Sloppysod »

If there are no leaks, why did you have to put in as much as you did, check rack and front suspension struts for dampness.
as you had to put so much in, did you blead the system afterwards, are there any air bubbles in the resevior when the pump is running.
BE CARE WHEN UNDERNEATH YOUR CAR. IF IT DROPS WHEN YOU ARE UNDER IT, IT CAN KILL!
Stu 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

"Some cause happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go"Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Major interventions
C5 Steering rack @ 58,000 mi
4 discs & Pads @ 63,585 mi
2 (AM6) oil exchanges @ 58,876 & 72,378 mi
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

entelstz wrote: 05 Oct 2018, 17:23 Tried to refill some LDS (almost a litre in) following the procedure with lowering the back first. Unfortunately that did not seem to help.

You should have lowered front and back. The fluid level will seem too low if the front is not lowered.
entelstz

Post by entelstz »

xantia_v6 wrote: 05 Oct 2018, 21:26
entelstz wrote: 05 Oct 2018, 17:23 Tried to refill some LDS (almost a litre in) following the procedure with lowering the back first. Unfortunately that did not seem to help.

You should have lowered front and back. The fluid level will seem too low if the front is not lowered.

Sorry, I was in a hurry when writing that post. I lowered the whole car, not only the front.

Can someone explain the bleeding process? What i did was just refill of the tank and then lowered and rase the car a couple of times with the tank cap unscrewed. Now i notice that every time i open the cap there is no pressure from the tank... Have i done something wrong?
Upon closer observation today I noticed the following: switching throughout the 4 suspension levels, the front moves okay, while the back just barely lowers and rises(total amplitude of around 3-4 cm) in addition, when on full high and low the back moves when pressure is applied, unlike the front which is totally stiff on full high/low.

Cheers!
entelstz

Post by entelstz »

Finally found a video that almost describes my issue, with the one difference that my problem is with the rear suspension (this one is with the front), and the suspension doesn't go up and drop down so far.
Last edited by myglaren on 08 Oct 2018, 17:19, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: YouTube link
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

To bleed the car needs to be on level ground.
  • Lift the bonnet and undo the LDs tank cap.
  • Raise the suspension to the highest setting
  • Then lower it to the lowest setting
  • Leave the engine running and check LDS fluid is between the A and B below:
    LDS X7 Levels.png
  • Never fill it past the mark 'B'!
  • Next, to bleed, SLOWLY turn the wheel (whilst still on the lowest setting) from left to right full lock a few times.
  • Stop the engine
  • Check fluid level is between the Marks A & B and top up if necessary.
I noticed in your earlier post you said you had added a litre of LDS fluid - well that would indicate some leak if you had to put a litre in.

I don't think that chap in your video said he had a problem that I could see mentioned anywhere - I think he was just demonstrating his suspension.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc