Cambelt change on an automatic c5 tourer 2010 2.0 HDI

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

French_Cars
My Cars: Citroen C5

Re: Cambelt change on an automatic c5 tourer 2010 2.0 HDI

Post by French_Cars »

I have been on the phone to Citroen and they said they had 2 water pump kits for my car.
1st genuine Peugeot cost around £209 as Marc described earlier and another they say it is not PSA but it is made to PSA standards £107.

I am planning to go do the £107 but only if it is good to last few thousand miles.

What do you think guys?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

It will be like their service parts when you opt for a dealer ‘originals’ or ‘essentials’ service. Originals uses genuine PSA parts to original spec, where essentials uses equivalent parts. So it’s basically that. With timing kits, I’ve always gone original spec as it’s such an important service item and I would personally want peace of mind. But it is down to personal choice and budget I guess. 👍
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I just took a break from the spanners this time and went for the fixed price deal from Citroen, popped it into the main dealer wandered off round the shops for four hours and picked it up all done with genuine parts, car washed and vacuumed out. £345.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
French_Cars

Post by French_Cars »

Quick update:
I have started to work on the cambelt but was unable to undo the 22mm crank pulley nut.

First I tried with impact wrench - no joy-
Lock the flywheel and tried with extension bar (2 people) we were certain if we tried any harder, something will give way. We were trying anti-clockwise btw.

I have read here before that it was not bad as a nut to get It loose. I am guessing that someone had put too much lock tight (the blue glue) on the nut.

Any ideas on how to get over this hurdle?
Bick

Post by Bick »

Try a bit of heat on the bolt bead this will melt the locktight then you should be able to get it undone with a impact gun
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

I had an extension bar on mine with the 5ft alloy scaffy pole over the top. It was brutal and it also was very stiff ALL the way out. The locking compound should be on the new bolt. I locked camshaft, put hardened pin through flywheel, and also made a toothed lock to go in the fly wheel ring gear.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
French_Cars

Post by French_Cars »

I like the idea of using heat but I only have a heat gun that can go up to 600 degrees, I don’t have a blow torch or anything that burns. Would heat gun be ok to use?
Bick

Post by Bick »

French_Cars wrote: 12 Oct 2018, 21:50 I like the idea of using heat but I only have a heat gun that can go up to 600 degrees, I don’t have a blow torch or anything that burns. Would heat gun be ok to use?

It will take a while but it should help
French_Cars

Post by French_Cars »

I know the cam belt should last about 120k or 10years on this engine, this is the reason why initially i tried to change it. The car has covered 121k now and I think this is the 2nd belt which must have been fitted by someone else as the original 22mm nut would not have been tightened so much from the manufacturer. The belt itself looked in descent condition had “Gates” on it.

Does anyone agree that the CS pulley shouldn’t be that tight from PSA?
moizeau
Donor 2024
My Cars: 91 BX TZD Estate. Dead but loved
407 HDI 136 auto
C4 2l petrol coupé
2010 Dispatch III HDI 90
AND a 1980 Z1000ST
AND a 1983 GPz1100 inj
AND a 1995 Zephyr 1100
AND a 1980 Z650 (my moped)

Post by moizeau »

Can you not use the starter motor method? Just asking, not knowing with the HDI
Pete
Notice the BX is still top the list but sadly gone
French_Cars

Post by French_Cars »

I thought about it, but as this is a Citroen with hydraulic suspension, I don’t like to put the ignition on whilst one wheel is up in the air.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

French_Cars wrote: 12 Oct 2018, 21:15 Quick update:
I have started to work on the cambelt but was unable to undo the 22mm crank pulley nut.

First I tried with impact wrench - no joy-
Lock the flywheel and tried with extension bar (2 people) we were certain if we tried any harder, something will give way. We were trying anti-clockwise btw.

I have read here before that it was not bad as a nut to get It loose. I am guessing that someone had put too much lock tight (the blue glue) on the nut.

Any ideas on how to get over this hurdle?

Please excuse what may be a stupid question but it isn't a left hand thread, is it?
Over twenty years since I was that close to the oily bits but I have a vague recollection that they may be.
French_Cars

Post by French_Cars »

It should be undone anti-clockwise (left=loose)
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Lexi's answer above is the straightforward way, lock the flywheel and use a long bar, they're always tight but they do come undone without resorting to heat.

Having suitable tools is the main requirement, most DIY tools aren't man enough for the job, I have a 3/4" square drive socket and bar and with the addition of a suitable length of tube it will shift most things.

You need something like this to lock the flywheel.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sealey-VSE23 ... rk:4:pf:0
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
AJM C5
(Donor 2019)
My Cars: C5 Tourer Exclusive 2009, 2.0 HDi
Land Rover V8 LPG 1994
TVR Chimera V8, Tornado cam, Semi race

Post by AJM C5 »

Hi there,

I've been studying this cambelt thread for weeks with the view to doing the belt change among other service items missing from the vehicles history file. Being ex-Land Rover, I know how incredibly useful forums can be, as is this thread but I now appear to have a problemo, so here goes...

Its a C5 (X7) 2.0 HDi 2009 Tourer, manual GB, and quite a nice car it is too. 220,000km but you'd never know it. All worked well, only had to show it the key and it was like a dog off the leash. Issues with self levelling, but I could work around it and that was fourth on the list of jobs to do.

I followed Marc's detailed description and instructions on what to do, and and other input, and also viewed the helpful video someone put up (thank you), excepting disconnecting the low fuel pipes and removing the suspension brackets and arm. And also the manual fuel pump, but the pipes were not disconnected anyway, so.

The crucial things of locking the cam sprocket and crankshaft were done 100% perfectly, which I did when the tools arrived on Tuesday last. There is no mistake on that.

After replacing the tensioner, pulley, waterpump, and cambelt, then the aux belt, oil & filter, I slowly reassembled everything.

Performed the manual engine turnover and all is fine, as expected no horrendous crunches.

The moment came to start the engine; I took the advice and prayed.... The engine turned and sounded nice, only there was a new error message about the handbrake... A 'failure'?! Oh and by the way, the engine would not start. The HB is now a fault, even though on both settings I can hear something happen when disengaging and the display says so, my question is, although I chocked the rear wheels for safety, does the system stop ignition if there is such a fault?

Otherwise what could the problem possibly be. The only electrical loom I disconnected was the engine speed sensor which I reconnected, don't think any coolant touched that after water pump removal.

So there I am, beautiful car I'm doing the work for (local Citroen garage appear not to accept anything but there own parts at twice the price, plus twice the labour charges of the UK) ) but it won't start, how ungrateful. Plenty of top grade fuel in the tank too!

Any thoughtful suggestions would be appreciated.

Kind Rgds
AJ