more power

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

goose
My Cars:

more power

Post by goose »

as u know i have a citroen zx 2.0l16v
standard the car is 155 bhp
ive added a full s/s system exhaust and de cat
also a cotton green air filter.
the cars got to be around the 162bhp point now! ne wayz
im coming into some extra spending money soon and want more power.
wats the best stuff to get and wat offers some big power gains for around the £600 mark
contacts wud be useful too!!!![:D]
ohms69

Post by ohms69 »

Depends what you want from your engine. I personally prefer useable mid range torque to top end all or nothing craziness. Tuning any engine is always going to mean a trade off, it just depends if you think the trade off in bottom end power is worth it[:D]
Lairy cams, ported and gasflowed cylinder head increased ignition advance...How far do you want to go? All of these things will increase top end power...But who drives there car at 7000rpm all day long?[:0]
If it were me, I'd probably be looking into a light pressure turbo kit. Not sure if one's even made for your car, but I'm sure you can get a manifold fabricated. Then run a dastek piggy back ECU and map a 5th injector to sort fuelling.
Probably cost way more than £600, but atleast you would see a dramatic increase in performance. Didn't Peugeot produce a 405 T16? Might be worth doing some searching to source parts?[:D]
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">... big power gains for around the £600 mark ...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Definately a different 2L engine constructed & suited for - and fitted with - a turbo.
May be found from the vast range of PSA (Peug & Cit) models - should be no problem with that sort of budget.
goose
My Cars:

Post by goose »

any contacts??
the more info the bhetter
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Try Ebay auctions [:)]
- a known way for sellers of bits to get in contact with wanters for bits :
http://www.ebay.co.uk/
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

I suppose you have the basic choices of Supercharging or Turbocharging. One site I noticed recently does superchargers (http://www.gmcmotorsport.co.uk/) - you could speak with them.
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

There are a number of options. This being a PSA motor, some of the Peugeot tuners may be able to rechip the engine management. If you want to actually go faster (rather than brag about your dyno figures), renew your dampers, probably try a 30-50% uprated damper, and keep the tyre section reasonably narrow.
What is this idiot talking about, I hear you ask? Traction.
Power you can get onto the tarmac is worth a lot more than that you can't.
Overwide tyres may look cool but in the wet or on a poorly surfaced road, the thing will behave like a demented clockwork toy and standard cars will leave you for dead. (I know this; I was there thirty years ago!)
Have the car set up on a Dyno as well. I have never found it to be money wasted. THese guys can get the best output from your engine, liberating several horsepower that you didn't know were in there.
Good luck with your project! One other thing. People tune in from all over the planet to give and get advice. You may find that you will get better help if you write in standard English. Many of our non UK members don't do webspeak and so find it difficult to offer their assistance.
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

yes dyno and a chip would help after de-catting it. For 600-700 you could probably get a pair of fast road cams and some light head work, flowing and porting. This will make it more "top end" power but getting it setup on a dyno will enable it to be improved a bit.
problem with the zx 16v engine is the weight, cast iron. so much heavier than the older 1.9 16v which was 160bhp in native uncatted form. Someone on here was putting one into a zx and I knew of another person who did it. quite simple, same engine mounts, box etc, swap one main wiring loom then a couple of other minor bits. more bhp as standard and lighter so that will help. For example the 8v zx volcane is 100kg! lighter than the 16v, yes its only a 8v head but the 16v head isnt that much heavier. Its just that the engine is all alluminium. This would obviusoly need some work but look around at the sheer amount of 205 "mi16s" etc, all bx 16v's/405 mi16s die this way :) I myself killed a bx and put its engine in my visa.
Other option would be throttle bodies using injectors still. Cost about 850, look at www.pugspares.co.uk i think for an example. Liberate about 20bhp on average and make your car sound a lot better due to the induction.
www.pumaracing.co.uk has some good articles on tuning the older 1.9 16v block but the advice is fairly generic and will help you even with your 2 litre
PeterMann
My Cars:

Post by PeterMann »

Have a look at http://www.nitrous.info/
Nitrous oxide can give a burst at 140% of normal power for long enough for the toughest overtake manouver. Car runs as standard when not required.