knocking BX

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ohms69

knocking BX

Post by ohms69 »

My BX makes a rather nasty knocking noise when right. I thought initially this was a bottom ball joint, but having played around with the suspension and steering whilst doing the cambelt yesterday I've isolated to the fault to the front drivers side suspension sphere.
It would appear that the sphere is catching on the metal just behind where the engine mount sits. It is obvious that the sphere(or strut) is slightly angled too far in towards the engine.
How do I fix this(on the cheap)?[:)]
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Give the sphere a good thump by hand in the wanted direction [:)]
- or use a large rubber hammer thudding the sphere.
It's a very common BX problem - as the front spheres must be located precisely to clear the surrounding chassis parts.
ohms69

Post by ohms69 »

Will this not damage the strut mounts? Surely the strut needs loosening and re-aligning?[:)]
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

You definately got a point there - but I've always used this method on my BX'es. The sphere mount on top of the strut does in fact move relatively easy - despite the top nut torqued correctly.
It's not the rubber base that moves - but the sphere base.
But of course the rubber base takes the punding.
I'd first try some firm thumbing with the palm of the hand - most likely you'll be surprised [;)]
ohms69

Post by ohms69 »

I'll give it a try Anders...Thanks![;)]
But if I decided to get the spanners out will I have to remoce the sphere to loosen the strut?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

No way [8D]
If anything to be loosened - it's the strut top nut. This requires a huge hex key to counteract on the strut top itself - precisely protecting the rubber base. Found under the plastic cap commonly fitted on strut top.
As I said : most (more than !) likely you'll be surprised [;)]
ohms69

Post by ohms69 »

Well, I've just been out whacking the damn sphere and it hasn't budged!
Looks like the quick fix approach is a no no[:(]
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

To release the mounting, you will need to slacken the very big bolt at the top of the strut. It is 36mm across flats so you will need a big socket. This is one for a local garage because it won't take a minute to do.
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

Who last changed this sphere? If the sphere's been overtorqued (easily done, because it just needs to be hand-tight) then that could've done the damage. If that's the case, then use of a band-wrench sphere-removing tool (I wouldn't recommend anything else) might provide the appropriate reversal force.
If you try this with system pressure released through the 12mm bolt on the PR, then you've got more likelihood of succeeding, as the sphere will be more reluctant to unscrew.
After a couple of "interesting" experiences with "blown" front spheres that were a real pain to remove because of the excess nitrogen in the LHM, I often brace the strut with wood blocks against the drivers-side wing where possible when removing. Again, this may be appropriate here to stop over-movement of the mount.
Opinions, anyone?
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

As I understand the question: The sphere is contacting the bodywork.
If that is so, then the large iron lump that the sphere screws into needs moving a little. Just slacken the top bolt slightly, as mentioned before. Put the suspension into its lowest position and that should be enough. You will get a little seepage but it is not strictly necessary to release the accumulator pressure. (It is a cleaner job if you can, but if you just want the local wrench to do the job then he won't have to get too involved with a Citroen, saving you the charges for garlic and silver bullets etc.) With the bolt slackened, the sphere and its mount can now be moved either clockwise or anticlockwise to clear the contact point before retightening
the bolt. Before going down this route, just check that the metal pipes around the mount are not touching the adjoining metalwork. THese pipes do not need to be slackened if you are just repositioning the sphere mount a little. Before you start, it has occurred to me that forcing a piece of cardboard into the place where you reckon the contact is being made and then going for a spin will confirm your diagnosis; the noise will sound different if you are right.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

The sphere mount won't budge by steady force applied - you need to thumb it hard - to (even beyond) the "Ouchh" point on your palm [:I]
I recognise it may well be stuck - but my own experience is it will budge by thumbing - from 3 different BX'es.
Only alternative then is Tom Sheppard's suggestion.
ohms69

Post by ohms69 »

Thanks chaps for all the input.
I can't get a piece of card down there, because it is contacting the bodywork all of the time.
I'll slacken the big bolt[:D]
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

Sorry ohms69, Tom & Anders for my crude suggestion here: thinking about it again, if it's just rotation in the horizontal plane we're looking at here , the only safe way is what you're recommending - that 36mm bolt. Never had to touch one yet, but will soon....
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

David, You are welcome to borrow the big socket when you do.
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

Thanks Tom - somewhere in my "BX of tricks" in storage I have at least two struts for future reference (and work)....